Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

Beans

unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

Greetings

I have a new but I suspect not quite pristine Dell Inspiron 15 5584 laptop that came preinstalled with Windows 10.

I have created a bootable USB stick from the file ubuntu-mate-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso following the instructions at https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...ck-on-ubuntu#0.

Now when I try to boot from the USB I immediately get the following message in text mode before the installer loads...
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
    Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
    Failed to start MokManager: Not Fond
    Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed

At one point, I could actually boot from the USB and run the installer, but I got held up and had to abort the install. This leads me to believe that something happened on my solid state drive. It has no EFI folder or partition I also tried installing Debian 10.1 the same way with the same experience. Windows still works fine. I tried running a system restore but it didn't help.

I googled several examples of similar problems with the same error message, but found a definite lack of consensus on the solution. Also most were under slightly different circumstances. So, I decided to create a new thread.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

Most just copy a file into /EFI/Boot and rename to mmx64.efi.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085...-efi-not-found
    Once installed you will have that file.
    That file is for managing keys in UEFI Secure boot.
    Are you booting with UEFI Secure Boot on?

Dell typically needs UEFI update, if SSD, SSD firmware update.
    It needs RAID/Intel RST changed to AHCI, but if dual booting Windows add AHCI driver into Windows first.

Issues with Dell seem to be very common across all models, bigger difference if Intel or AMD.
    Dell Precision 5820 with PCI NVME SSD UEFI update & SSD firmware update
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2402254
    Dell Precision 5530
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2420905

General UEFI install instructions in link in my signature.

How to Install Ubuntu Linux on your Dell PC
    https://www.dell.com/support/article...ell-pc?lang=en
    Last edited by oldfred; October 19th, 2019 at 03:54 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Most just copy a file into /EFI/Boot and rename to mmx64.efi.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1085...-efi-not-found
    I read that page and I found the conflicting posts confusing. Could you please be explicit. Copy what file from where exactly (SSD? USB?) to where exactly. (SSD? USB)

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have an Ubuntu install, anywhere, you can copy it from /boot/efi/EFI/Boot. You may have to change permissions on mount in fstab to be able to see that partition. My install of 19.10 created these:
    Code:
    fred@Bionic-Z170N:/media/fred/ESP_B/EFI/BOOT$ ll
    -rw-r--r-- 1 fred fred 1334816 Oct 15 14:00 BOOTX64.EFI
    -rw-r--r-- 1 fred fred 1213032 Oct 15 14:00 fbx64.efi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 fred fred 1269496 Oct 15 14:00 mmx64.efi
    If you just have live installer, it should be in the /EFI/BOOT/ folder on your flash drive.
    My ISO for 19.10 shows this, do not now normally use flash drives, but you should have same files in flash drive:

Code:
    fred@Bionic-Z170N:/media/fred/Ubuntu 19.10 amd64/EFI/BOOT$ ll
    total 3922
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 fred fred    2048 Oct 14 16:02 ./
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 fred fred    2048 Oct 14 16:02 ../
    -r--r--r-- 1 fred fred 1334816 Oct 14 16:02 BOOTx64.EFI
    -r--r--r-- 1 fred fred 1406840 Oct 14 16:02 grubx64.efi
    -r--r--r-- 1 fred fred 1269496 Oct 14 16:02 mmx64.efi
    If file is really there in your flash drive installer, then change UEFI settings. Or try a different tool to create installer.
    Some now have settings that may make it UEFI only or BIOS only, and then you have to be sure to boot flash drive in that mode.
    You really want to boot in UEFI boot mode.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you have an Ubuntu install, anywhere, you can copy it from /boot/efi/EFI/Boot. You may have to change permissions on mount in fstab to be able to see that partition.
    oldfred, my knowledge of the technical side of Linux is a little weak, I'm hoping you'll bear with me.

As a matter of fact I do have a second laptop with Ubuntu Mate 18.04.3 Installed. When I look at the file system using Caja i see there is a directory boot off the root, the only subdirectory I see is grub. I presume this is where changing the permissions on mount in fstab comes in. This is what the file /etc/fstab looks like. It's not at all clear to me how I should go about editing this. If you can show me what changes I should make, I can edit the real thing, after making a backup copy of course.

Regards,
    Another old Fred

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=1704d3b3-1d47-41e6-8d8a-4001adfa5842 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    /swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0

Beans

Your other Mate install is legacy, not UEFI, so /boot/efi/EFI/... simply does not exist. Get the file off the USB installer you used. As oldfred said, on the USB, there is a directory named EFI, and under it should be anoher directory named BOOT, containing the mmx64.efi file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    Your other Mate install is legacy, not UEFI, so /boot/efi/EFI/... simply does not exist. Get the file off the USB installer you used. As oldfred said, on the USB, there is a directory named EFI, and under it should be anoher directory named BOOT, containing the mmx64.efi file.
    You're missing the point. The file mmx64.efi does not exist in the \efi\boot directory on the USB. There is only bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi

The same thing happens with Debian

Beans

Oops, sorry, 19.04 was the first to include the mmx64.efi in the iso. The file is in the shim package, so you may get it from there on your running 18.04 system, or use a 19.04 or 19.10 ISO (mount example for a loopback mount: "sudo mount -tiso9660 -oloop myiso.iso /mnt/lb )

Beans

ubfan1, I ran Synaptic Package Manager on my Running 18.04 system, and I see that the shim package is not installed. I'm a little leery installing a boot loader package. Is it safe?

Also, there is shim and there is shim-signed, which is a version of the bootloader binary signed by the Microsoft UEFI CA
    Last edited by fred63; October 19th, 2019 at 11:48 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fred63 View Post
    ubfan1, I ran Synaptic Package Manager on my Running 18.04 system, and I see that the shim package is not installed. I'm a little leery installing a boot loader package. Is it safe?

Also, there is shim and there is shim-signed, which is a version of the bootloader binary signed by the Microsoft UEFI CA
    Never mind, I downloaded the shim package using apt download shim, and extracted mmx64.efi. What I don't understand is what I'm supposed to do with it. I figure there are two possibilities...

1. copy it to the efi/boot directory on a read-only USB boot drive

2. copy it too a efi \boot partition , a partition which doesn't exist according to Windows Disk Manager. That;s the thing. I think that somehow during one of my aborted installs, when I could boot from the USB, my efi partition got boffed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast