Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

Beans

Re: unable to boot from USB stick - mmx64.efi not found

As a matter of fact I do have a second laptop with Ubuntu Mate 18.04.3 Installed. When I look at the file system using Caja i see there is a directory boot off the root, the only subdirectory I see is grub
    You need to look in /boot/efi for the file. If and only if you have UEFI installation, the folders under that are as shown below in the output of tree command. The file mmx64.efi is in two places, and you can cd down to either location. I had to be root to open /boot/efi. This is Ubuntu 19.04, so your output may vary.

Code:
    dmn@Sydney-vm:~$ sudo -i
    root@Sydney-vm:~# cd /boot/efi
    root@Sydney-vm:/boot/efi# tree
    └── EFI
        ├── BOOT
        │** ├── BOOTX64.EFI
        │** ├── fbx64.efi
        │** └── mmx64.efi
        └── ubuntu
            ├── BOOTX64.CSV
            ├── grub.cfg
            ├── grubx64.efi
            ├── mmx64.efi
            └── shimx64.efi

3 directories, 8 files
    root@Sydney-vm:/boot/efi# exit
    logout
    So you can then copy the file from one of those locations to wherever you need it.
    Last edited by Dennis N; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.

Beans

Thanks Dennis. Please note in a subsequent post that I obtained the mmx64.efi in a different way, by downloading the package shim, using apt, and extracting the file.

Beans

I now have a bootable USB stick. I'm not sure that this is the best solution but at least I got somewhere. This is how I did it....

1. create a UEFI-only bootable live media using the instructions found here https://askubuntu.com/questions/3958...sb-live-media/ . I used the "Copy files from the ISO" method, Example via GUI
    2. download the package shim using apt download from my working 18.04 laptop. This package contains mmx64.efi
    3. extract the files from the package, and copy mmx64.efi to the EFI/BOOT directory on the USB stick.

I can now boot from USB and at least start loading Ubuntu Live (Try Ubuntu without installing from the Grub menu)

However part way through the loading of Ubuntu Live, the process halts. I get a string of ACPI BIOS Errors and ACPI errors then at the end I get...

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file System.

Googling this last error turns up plenty of hits, including at least one here on ubuntuforums. So I will do some research and get back to you. I would like to leave this thread open for now, pending a better way to create a bootable USB.

cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you extract and copy all the files from the ISO into one FAT32 partition with the boot flag? No other FAT32 partitions on USB flash drive?

Some just have needed to use a different port on system, or a different flash drive. No consistent issue.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you extract and copy all the files from the ISO into one FAT32 partition with the boot flag? No other FAT32 partitions on USB flash drive?

Some just have needed to use a different port on system, or a different flash drive. No consistent issue.

Yes, one and only one FAT32 partition. I didn't actually extract the files. I mounted the iso file with the app Disk Image Mounter, displayed hidden files, did a select all and a copy and paste to the USB.

Three files would not copy.

error copying "stable" and "unstable" to USB disk/dists
    error copying "ubuntu" to /USB Disk

in all three cases the message was Filesystem does not support symbolic links.

I don't like my solution, and this is why. Do we agree that the file mmx64.efi does not normally appear on the bootable USB? I think the original "file not found" error means the installer is looking for the file on the SSD and can't find it., not the USB. Maybe that is the meaning of the initramfs Unable to find a medium containing a live file system. ​Just a hunch.

As an experiment I created a UEFI only USB from a Debian iso. All the files copied without error, and I was able to boot completely into Debian Live. I then ran the installer. When it came time to deal with Partitions, The installer only recognized the USB as a storage device. Because that's where the mmx64.efi file was? Just a guess.

Beans

I think the mmx64.efi is for managing keys in the secure database, so since my normal machine is UEFI, but without secure boot capability, I've never had to use it. If you wanted to run secure boot with the Nvidia drivers (unsigned by
    Canonical), you need to go through the procedure of signing them yourself and register your key (something I've never done).This self-signing procedure may be included in the 19.x installers, hence the inclusion of the mmx64.efi program.

Beans

I'm not exactly sure what solved it, but post #13 holds the key

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fred63 View Post

I don't like my solution, and this is why. Do we agree that the file mmx64.efi does not normally appear on the bootable USB? I think the original "file not found" error means the installer is looking for the file on the SSD and can't find it., not the USB. Maybe that is the meaning of the initramfs Unable to find a medium containing a live file system. ​Just a hunch

Which tool/method did you use to create your USB boot drive?

If you want a live-only USB boot drive it is best to use a cloning tool,

- in Windows: Win32 Disk Imager or Rufus in 'dd-mode'
    - in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and newer versions: Startup Disk Creator
    - in other linux distros: Disks alias gnome-disks or mkusb

If you want a persistent live USB boot drive I suggest that you use mkusb. It works with all current versions of Ubuntu and Ubuntu family flavours.

mkusb is a linux tool, you cannot use it in Windows, but you make a live-only USB boot drive with Ubuntu, boot into it, install mkusb and then make a persistent live drive in another USB drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12