Thread: Unable to boot from usb drive on 4K

Beans

Exclamation Unable to boot from usb drive on 4K

Hi,

I am trying to install Ubuntu 19.10 on a Dell Precision 5510 which has a 4K screen. I have / am using PopOs 19.04 and Elementry Juno without problems.

When I boot from usb drive and choose "Try Ubuntu without installing", I get the error:

error: out of memory

and then nothing happens and I have to hard boot.

Upon serching I found this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1842320

Is there any solution how I can boot fom UBS drive and install Ubuntu 19.10?

Thanks.

P.S:

I tried with safe graphics today. Same error. I got an out of memory error followed by kernal panic. Had to hard reboot.
    I wonder if Canonical will release a new iso with the fix. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Unable to boot from usb drive on 4K

my guess is that a device driver for some device that both Dell and HP use has a memory corruption bug. that kind of bug can cause many kinds of misleading errors including miscalculation of memory requirements (by overwriting a number involved in the calculation). these kinds of errors are especially difficult to solve because the symptom typically happens long after the bad code has run. i doubt 4K is the issue (although that remains a possibility). i can only suggest stay with 19.04. if you need to use some software from 19.10, your options include a backport or putting 19.10 in a VM or container (as long as all 19.10 software can run in the earlier kernel). a lot of people here are running 18.04 LTS.
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Beans

Hi, thanks for responsing.

I tried Pop OS 19.10 and it worked. So I guess they have either fixed the problem, or something specifically amiss with the Ubuntu iso image. Hope Ubuntu could fix the problem soon.

Regards,

Beans

I had the same error on XPS 15 9550 with a 4K display.

I found a solution. After burning the Ubuntu ISO with the installer to the USB-media there is a file /boot/grub/grub.cfg on the USB media.

Open this file in a text editor and change gfxmode=auto to gfxmode=800x600

Save the file and boot from USB.