Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade from 18.04 to 19.10 resulted in a mixed system

Beans

Re: Upgrade from 18.04 to 19.10 resulted in a mixed system

Quote Originally Posted by jgwphd View Post
    I am closing this problem and doing a fresh install (I am done with this multi-release upgrade attempt ...sigh). That's four times I have had major issues. There must be a better way to help or instruct people how to attempt this kind of upgrade. It seems it is way too easy to screw up your system with the wrong command. ...so ...how about a warning message that says "are you sure you want to do this' or simply prevent this with an error message if you are trying to upgrade beyond the next release. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way
    There is a built-in method for users that don't get rid of update-notifier. They would be informed every couple of weeks that a new release, (either a next version or next lts..), was available based on the setting in Software & Updates until they either said yes or declined (ignore.
    Once declined then it's set in the ignore list, ex.

"WARNING:root:found new dist 'bionic' but it is on the ignore list"
    result of which is screen 2

But that has to be done before the next release goes EOL and is moved to Old-releases or wait for next LTS
    In your case you waited too long..

Typically can be checked by running
    Code:
    /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk
    If you were to run that on 18.04.x it wouldn't return anything atm as the next release (18.10) is EOL & the next LTS isn't available yet.
    Running it on 16.04.x shows as in screen 1.

I believe the method you followed went ahead and switched your sources 19.04 repos.

Personally I just do fresh and copy out any files 1st. sometimes compressing them to maintain permissions. Quicker and easier..

There is a method to preserve Home when it's installed to / , just don't format the fresh install and use same user name. Here have tried a variation which is to -
    From live system mount existing install
    As root delete all folders and files in / except the Home directory
    Unmount, do install via something else to the partition where previous is, no format
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jgwphd View Post
    It seems it is way too easy to screw up your system with the wrong command. ...so ...how about a warning message that says "are you sure you want to do this' or simply prevent this with an error message if you are trying to upgrade beyond the next release.
    In the Linux world, the policy is to assume the user knows what he's doing. If you're doing something the developer hasn't foreseen, it must be either something very stupid or something very clever. The software can't tell, the software only knows what the developer has built in. In the Linux world, the user has the freedom to do very clever things. The price is that you can also do very stupid things.

Beans

But, ...even very smart and very clever people make mistakes. We are human and it would be nice at times that a warning message is issued as a reminder that we are about to do something very cleaver or very stupid and help us protect us from ourselves if it is in the very stupid category

BTW, I have 19.10 running with a fresh install. .....and FWIW I don't think this entered into the problem but my hard drive is now getting errors (enough so it only boots intermittently goes to busybox or just stalls with a blank screen). I used live USB 19.10 and GSmartControl is showing lots of read errors. I have a new one in the mail. Everything happens at once ...Murphy is alive and well LoL!

I truly appreciate all the explanations and suggestions and I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for all their help! You guys are awesome! MANY THANKS!!!!!

Beans

WIndows assumes you're and idiot.
    *inux assumes you know what you're doing.

There are lots of problems with bot approaches.

Beans

One final question, since I have been into packages a lot lately (had another upgrade hang on another machine, this time, from 19.04 to 19.10 - fixed it in recovery. The system runs normally now.). My question is how can someone tell if the package manage system has been corrupted in some way ....i.e the basic question, is it healthy? When I run the command: "dpkg --configure -a" it returns no output and goes back to the command line. Is there anything else I could check? ....just to feel more comfortable about the system. Thanks for any suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Software Updater and/or apt cli will always show any issues when run.
    As well as log files for apt, unattended-upgrades, and dpkg in the /var/log directory.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks ...everything looks "normal" ....what ever that is? LoL I SINCERELY APPRECIATE ALL THE ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS. AGAIN MANY MANY THANKS!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123