Thread: pavucontrol quit metering sound

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

pavucontrol quit metering sound

earlier today it was working fine. now, a few hours later, as i play the same music with same player (mplayer) those graphics in the pavucontrol that meter the audio level are showing nothing. but everything else still works. i can hear the audio on every userid (pulseaudio is in system mode). i can adjust the levels in pavucontrol. but the meter bars that earlier showed the activity of the audio with a fluctuating red bar now show nothing. any idea what broke?

edit:

reboot ... now the metering works, again. maybe pulseaudio needed a restart.
    Last edited by Skaperen; October 18th, 2019 at 03:48 AM.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans

Re: pavucontrol quit metering sound

I had tried Sound troubleshooting procedure Step 6 when I faced an issue somewhat similar to this.

Beans
    Distro

the playback device was not muted. i could hear the audio just fine. i could even set the levels in pavucontrol. i just could see the meters doing anything. they are working, now.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans

Don't forget to mark this [SOLVED] for the next user with the same issue. PulseAudio was very troublesome at first, but it sure seems to have leveled off for the last few years.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro

there probably will never be a solution. rebooting is, at best, a work-around for, what appears to be, a transient issue.

Beans

Yup. I bet some future update will prob'ly fix it. In the meantime you could make a bug report

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro

i could, but i usually don't unless it is persistent in some way. it's working fine tonight.