Thread: What is your regional tales on the origin of Halloween?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

What is your regional tales on the origin of Halloween?

Mine was Irish based from my Uncle.
    The time when the souls of the departed would return to their former homes and when potentially malevolent spirits were released from the Otherworld and were visible to mankind.
    Trust me there is so many more to just this take from the Irish.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What is your regional tales on the origin of Halloween?

It was Irish/Celtic and it developed from Samhain (sah'-win).
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    It was Irish/Celtic and it developed from Samhain (sah'-win).
    What? No Zombie Apocalypse?
    I guess I'll just have to settle for Pukah
    Last edited by 1fallen; October 17th, 2019 at 10:34 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It wasn't ever very clear in my American upbringing... There were certain things that always circulated around Haloween time that sort of had some claim to the origin tale:
    The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    The Tale of Sleepy Hollow
    The Salem Witch Trials...

There was storytelling of various forms involved with all of these... Teachers, I think, hauling out "film strip" projectors Bits on TV, afterschool specials... The Charlie Brown evening two days before the 31st... It never bothered me if the stories may have conflicted.

Classic horror movies filled out the picture. Frankenstein was the first movie I stayed home and watched alone, and it legitimately scared the hell out of me It, er... scared me because it's actually scary: It's Alive!

I was a werewolf for 4 or five years. It was easier than making a new costume, but I improved the old one every year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

we do not really celebrate haloween. we do have all saints day that we call day of remembering. when we remember the dead and light a candle for them

in the old days it was believed that in the long nights spirits of departed would show up. this was represented with masked men. but then christian church hijacked the holiday (like many others). they said that on 2nd november souls of people that were waiting to cross over would appear and that people should pray to help them. some prayed other paid (probably with food) poor children to go around houses and give prayers. but i guess you really need to believe into this if you want to be scared.

on 31st October we have reformation day when we celebrate the reformation. though it really failed in our country, it was an important time in our history since they made first books in my langauge (including grammar books). since about 9th century we were always governed by another nation, yet we managed not only to preserve the language but make books in it and evolve it.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm not aware of any regional conciseness regarding Halloween, but my views were shaped by stories about various pagan traditions. There were also horror movie influences because scary movies were/are rerun at that time of year .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: What is your regional tales on the origin of Halloween?

All - Hollows - Eve or known as the Day of the Dead. The celebration for all spirits that have passed away.
    Last edited by uRock; November 30th, 2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: normalized font

Beans

Jason.