Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

once my wife made me Indonesian dish called Lontong balap. it's rice with soy beans in various shapes (tofu, sprouts, seeds...). anyway it also had this stuff. looked it like grinded beef meat, tasted like meat. so i told her i really liked the meat in the dish and what is the way to prepare it. fry or bake or what? and she told me that it was only soybeans prepared in special way. fooled me.

a few more recipes later i found out how well some plants can substitute the taste of meat. i already knew that celery can enhance the meaty taste.

anyway for burgers i still prefer beef patty i prepare myself. according to my son they are the best burgers in the world. but i am open to substitutes.

as for meat - in week for main meal we eat 3 days chicken, 1 or 2 days vegetables only, 1 day fish or seafood, 1 or 2 days beef. though lately we've went down to 1 day a week for beef.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I worry that anything overly processed will have long-term negative health effects.

Grandpa had wisdom on this stuff. Eat real food. Have some sort of body effort/exercise every day outside for at least an hour. 1-2 times a week, have fun outside for 4+ hrs.

Don't eat too much of any 1 thing. Eat mostly veggies, but also some protein and fat at every meal. Fat doesn't make you fat. Bacon and butter are good, in moderation. Grandpa lived to age 93 and was active, sharp, until the last month. Good enough for me. Doubt I'll live that long. The other side of the family brought cancers and heart disease into our genetics. But living well is 80% life choices, 20% genetics. I believe that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Has anyone tried the "Megatables" at Arby's? They're almost prank dishes made out of meat made to look (and taste?) like vegetables. They make a carrot out of chicken breast and a sous-vied machine, for example.

Do they still do this? It might have been a one-off, mostly to get a press release out there and exposed. I'm not sure. I haven't been to Arby's since I was a nipper.
    ---
    500 thread check: PostNum - 2968 = Count | Mission = 3468
    Onwards...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I rarely eat meat, but I am not a strict vegetarian. I tried that Impossible Burger from Burger King. Thought it was ok, but not something I'd go out of my way for. When I want meat, I don't want something that pretends to be meat. Anyway, I try to stay away from overly-processed foods.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I got a huge kick out of the Dunkin' Donuts ad that showed the Sausage Muffin, with a plant based "sausage" patty...
    ...but, was that a real egg on top of it... Is the egg plant based too?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234