Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

For the zombies among us, should we be looking into meat-based plants? Happy Halloween!
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbuf View Post
    Well, that's what I was really concerned about. Since from nutritional labels, it's nigh impossible to tell if anything is all 9 of the proteins you need to function, as 'protein: 30g' could be 30g of pure leucine and none of the other 8 you must have to survive.

Slightly related, research shows prepubescent/pubescent kids likely should not be put on these kinds of diets for developmental reasons, but for old farts like us who are just kind of sustaining, we probably haven't got much to worry about.

May be true. However I can't even think of a single time science has flip flopped on vegetables and plants, saving finding out something was poisonous or something. I can recall countless times in the last 30 years where red meat is good, red meat is bad, back and forth many many times. I'd say that alone makes it superior for me.
    Not flip-flopped, but different methodological designs conducted and interpreted by different vested interests.
    red meats=worse (but possibly vital for brain health of ancestors);
    cured=worse;
    "processed"(re:Harvard)=very worse;
    These were correlations. Serving sizes, for red meat, were also inversely correlated.
    And milk might actually have too much calcium that isn't eliminated, as retinol isn't eliminated but beta-carotene is.

Hence I bought the peanut butter with the 'Ingredientseanuts.' Yum, choline! And peanuts are a member of a grouping of foods, the nuts, that Harvard found to have the strongest correlation with longevity, their measure of "health." But choline specifically is involved in the same brain functions that are impaired by botox injections, functions that seem to be related to interoceptive functions or ToM (alexithymic) functions. Should I prescribe peanut butter for autism, or am I being too hasty?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A store by me sold meatless hamburger patties. I tried them and loved it. Too bad they stop selling it.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Our Safeway carries Beyond Meat at $7 for four thin burgers.

I start with dry soy meat, (TVP), which cost about $1 a pound, and makes about five pounds of finished product.

Add enough water to make if soft but firm, too much water takes a long time to cook and can make it mushy.

Grind it to the consistency of ground beef and fry it in soy oil until it starts to brown.

Add chopped onion to taste and continue frying until the onion starts to brown.

I add a packet of no name taco seasoning, and a minute or so later add tomato, tomato sauce or tomato paste, a little water and simmer.

This make a great taco filling or sloppy joes.

For burgers, I add a little gluten, (and sometimes an unfertilized egg), and fry or barbecue.

We make a big batch and freeze patties for later.

The finished product is nearly pure protein and taste better than Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger, at a small fraction of the cost.

No wierd stuff in it, no steroids or antibiotics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Our Safeway carries Beyond Meat at $7 for four thin burgers.

I start with dry soy meat, (TVP), which cost about $1 a pound, and makes about five pounds of finished product.

Add enough water to make if soft but firm, too much water takes a long time to cook and can make it mushy.

Grind it to the consistency of ground beef and fry it in soy oil until it starts to brown.

Add chopped onion to taste and continue frying until the onion starts to brown.

I add a packet of no name taco seasoning, and a minute or so later add tomato, tomato sauce or tomato paste, a little water and simmer.

This make a great taco filling or sloppy joes.

For burgers, I add a little gluten, (and sometimes an unfertilized egg), and fry or barbecue.

We make a big batch and freeze patties for later.

The finished product is nearly pure protein and taste better than Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger, at a small fraction of the cost.

No weird stuff in it, no steroids or antibiotics.
    You've got me wanting to try that. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

when real cows start telling me to eat those, then i will.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had a burger patty recipe some years ago which used ground toasted sunflower seeds in place of meat. I was following a vegetarian diet at the time, so I took some of these to a neighbourhood barbecue to ensure that I had something I could eat - apart from the salads and so forth, that is.

For some reason, all the meat-eaters decided they liked these things, and I had to move fast so that I wouldn't go hungry.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hmmmm..... I wonder why Chick-Fil-a hasn't considered offering something of this ilk? Think of the ads "We NOW have burgers as well as Chicken"
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
    Hmmmm..... I wonder why Chick-Fil-a hasn't considered offering something of this ilk? Think of the ads "We NOW have burgers as well as Chicken"
    They were frightened by:
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm semi-vegan. I eat cows which eat plants.
    Your files aren't in the cloud, they're just on someone else's computer.
    --Dave

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast