Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

I consumed lots of plant based meat substitutes when I was vegan for about seven months in 2018. They're pretty good! It all depends on how they're prepared, seasoned, and cooked. I have a nice vegan restaurant down the street from my house that makes really good stuff. I'm particularly fond of Daiya cheese and Impossible meat substitutes, but eh. I don't make enough money to afford them regularly, and omnivorous diet is cheaper so I went with the latter in the end. Sucks that I can't be vegan the way I want to be without additional income, but such is life. I'd give them an 8/10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Have you tried it yet?
    I've never tried but this thing definitely deserves attention and wide approval . People should replace all usual meat eventually. they should even restrict real meat! In all countries.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by giant-paw View Post
    I've never tried but this thing definitely deserves attention and wide approval . People should replace all usual meat eventually. they should even restrict real meat! In all countries.
    Good luck selling that idea in my home town, where you can visit local farms and by x percent of a cow for pennies on the dollar compared to the grocery store. Many people in my neighborhood raise their own chickens, some for eggs and some for meat. We even have a few elk farms here.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Good luck selling that idea in my home town, where you can visit local farms and by x percent of a cow for pennies on the dollar compared to the grocery store. Many people in my neighborhood raise their own chickens, some for eggs and some for meat. We even have a few elk farms here.
    I suppose it would be cheaper, and healthier, if it didn't have to be preserved. Oh, and some risk of transmitting salmonella, E coli and other human-derived opportunistic pathogens, but no Mad Cow disease as long as they were cuts of steak but not industrial-scale ground beef.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SweetDreams View Post
    They're pretty good! It all depends on how they're prepared, seasoned, and cooked.
    I agree if not seasoned and cooked right they are bland.

I mix a lot of garlic and onion and green and red bell peppers in mine and cook them on the charcoal grill and they're good but nothing beats a 100% beef hamburger imo.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I tried a Burger King fakebuger. My opinion: Insufficient grease.
    Your files aren't in the cloud, they're just on someone else's computer.
    --Dave

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by echotech2 View Post
    I tried a Burger King fakebuger. My opinion: Insufficient grease.
    If you want grease stick with the veggie burgers they are loaded with grease and gross.

The plant beef if made at home and cooked on a charcoal grill or in a skillet isn't bad if you add seasoning etc.

The plant beef is dry so brush some olive oil on it while cooking it but don't over oil or over cook the burger.

Have a read.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...ers-learn-make

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, that's what I was really concerned about. Since from nutritional labels, it's nigh impossible to tell if anything is all 9 of the proteins you need to function, as 'protein: 30g' could be 30g of pure leucine and none of the other 8 you must have to survive.

Slightly related, research shows prepubescent/pubescent kids likely should not be put on these kinds of diets for developmental reasons, but for old farts like us who are just kind of sustaining, we probably haven't got much to worry about.

May be true. However I can't even think of a single time science has flip flopped on vegetables and plants, saving finding out something was poisonous or something. I can recall countless times in the last 30 years where red meat is good, red meat is bad, back and forth many many times. I'd say that alone makes it superior for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post

May be true. However I can't even think of a single time science has flip flopped on vegetables and plants, saving finding out something was poisonous or something. I can recall countless times in the last 30 years where red meat is good, red meat is bad, back and forth many many times. I'd say that alone makes it superior for me.
    Very true.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've had both the Beyond and Impossible Burgers -- both however were at various bars in the neighborhood and they were both great. The White Castle beyond burger is nasty as is most things that you get at White Castle. I haven't tried the Burger King variant yet. Like any meat or veg product --- they method in which they are prepared means a lot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast