Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

I would assume they are trying this in other places as well. Here in the states they have a few places doing this. Burger King has the Impossible Whopper, Carls Jr / Hardees has the Beyond burger. This basically is a hamburger patty made out of plant protein. Not an ounce of actual beef or meat involved.

I tried a Beyond BBQ Cheeseburger this morning. And I was in shock. I worried I wasted my money on some kind of gimmick or joke. It turned out great. If I didn't know I ordered it, I would never have asked twice. It made me think beef producers have got a real problem if these people ever figure how to make a proper steak out of this stuff.

Have you tried it yet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Plant based "Meats". Your opinion?

40 years ago I would have said "If you want a hamburger that tastes like beef, eat a beef one. If you want a veggie burger that tastes like beef -- waahhhh!"

In these days of accelerating anthropogenic climate change I say "If it cuts down on factory production of cattle, helps cut greenhouse gas emissions and really does taste like beef ... I'll take two."
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I was eating them before they were adopted widely by the fast food market. They don't taste as good as my home made burgers on the grill, but they don't have the side effects of eating meats.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I was eating them before they were adopted widely by the fast food market. They don't taste as good as my home made burgers on the grill, but they don't have the side effects of eating meats.
    +1 yep your Burgers are the best in town. You need to fire up the barby one last time, as always I'll bring the beverage's.
    That Burger King version isn't bad at all.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    +1 yep your Burgers are the best in town. You need to fire up the barby one last time, as always I'll bring the beverage's.
    That Burger King version isn't bad at all.
    I've been tempted to make real burgers.

We only eat meats once or twice a month. Usually when going out on date nights or family nights. I haven't cooked a real beef burger for more than a year and I have been craving one.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Deer, elk, antelope, got a freezer full. But got to say Burger King Impossible Whopper is one fine burger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Burger King Impossible Whopper is one fine burger
    Good to know, I have been thinking about trying it, I have been eating a lot healthier and want to keep it that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

A little worried for public health if these things aren't the complete set of proteins that normal meat provides. E.g. protein deficiency disorders or male endocrine disruption similar to phytoestrogen heavy diets. I'm also not convinced that if these are a complete set of proteins on par in quantity with meat that they're able to be sustainably farmed. More protein heavy crops tend to annihilate the top soil in a way that they can only be replenished by compost which - has to come from somewhere.

The carbon economics of this stuff is messy and sadly not as direct as we'd like to think.
    Last edited by zimbuf; October 21st, 2019 at 03:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zimbuf View Post
    A little worried for public health if these things aren't the complete set of proteins that normal meat provides. E.g. protein deficiency disorders or male endocrine disruption similar to phytoestrogen heavy diets. I'm also not convinced that if these are a complete set of proteins on par in quantity with meat that they're able to be sustainably farmed. More protein heavy crops tend to annihilate the top soil in a way that they can only be replenished by compost which - has to come from somewhere.

The carbon economics of this stuff is messy and sadly not as direct as we'd like to think.
    I've eaten less than twenty meat based meals in the past 18 months. These burgers are overly processed, so I still don't eat them very often. I'd only be worried if people were eating these for every meal.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I'd only be worried if people were eating these for every meal.
    Well, that's what I was really concerned about. Since from nutritional labels, it's nigh impossible to tell if anything is all 9 of the proteins you need to function, as 'protein: 30g' could be 30g of pure leucine and none of the other 8 you must have to survive.

Slightly related, research shows prepubescent/pubescent kids likely should not be put on these kinds of diets for developmental reasons, but for old farts like us who are just kind of sustaining, we probably haven't got much to worry about.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast