Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Company Linux Requirements

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Company Linux Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by daniel-patrick View Post
    We are a new company so nothing has actually been implemented yet.

I meant Ubuntu version 18.04 and not 18.14.

I'm asking to get a better overview of what I'm about to expect.

What certifications would you recommend?
    I thought of starting with the LPIC-1, LPIC-2 and LPIC-3.

Any other certifications you'd recommend?
    All infrastructure can easily be Linux. Make a list of what you consider infrastructure. start with authentication/authorization and backups. I'd have at least 3 different subnets to start. Think about security first and always, even before the first network is created.

I don't recommend any certifications, but the LPIC knowledge is fine. It is too easy to become a cert-test-taker and not actually learn the skills. We see this all the time - people with long lists of certs without any practical knowledge. Seek out people with a Linux-first attitude, but not total zealots. Zealots are great for F/LOSS projects, but not in a business.

Have a plan for when there isn't a Linux solution to a problem. For example, my company never found a reasonable Linux solution for accounting and taxes. The accountant wasn't going to change and our external accountants needed specific file transfer formats. Some fights aren't worth the effort.

Beans

Depends on your type of business. I work in AI, it is a Ubuntu shop. There is supposed to be one Windows machine somewhere but no one ever uses it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

We are a new company so nothing has actually been implemented yet.
    your company can avoid a lot of costs by going directly to cloud-based services for everything that does not absolutely need to be local. then Ubuntu can serve you well as the OS for each workstation in front of each user. one local server is then all you really need (for a secure tunnel to your cloud network, files that need to be extra fast, and maybe a few administrative things). your "computer room" can then just be a closet with you internet access, telco access, LAN switches, phone switch, and patch panel).

I meant Ubuntu version 18.04 and not 18.14.
    if you can hold off 3 more months, 20.04 LTS will be coming out, then.

I'm asking to get a better overview of what I'm about to expect.
    expect the world to be shifting to cloud-based services. by starting out there, you can avoid those costs and headaches.

What certifications would you recommend?
    I thought of starting with the LPIC-1, LPIC-2 and LPIC-3.

Any other certifications you'd recommend?
    i can't help in this area. i don't do certifications. are you going to be the system administrator? the network administrator? CTO?
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

expect the world to be shifting to cloud-based services. by starting out there, you can avoid those costs and headaches.
    I would respectfully disagree with this statement. Run the numbers, annually, to see which makes more sense for your needs. Don't forget to include the cost of outages due to cloud failures. Initially, starting out the cloud will seem cheaper and for specific services, it most definitely is the case.
    8 hr S3 outage last week: https://www.infosecurity-magazine.co...ighthour-ddos/

Nobody will care about your services or security like your own employees will when their jobs depend on it. This depends on having people with appropriate skills. "Cloudy" services don't always include appropriate security.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12