Thread: Mic not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Mic not working

Hi,

I can't seem to get my mic to work on my laptop. From sound settings/pavucontrol I can see it shows an internal mic, it's switched on, input volume is all the way up, but I get no orange bars. The same goes for when I use earphones with a mic (with a single TRRS jack).

Interestingly when I look in alsamixer I don't even have an option for mic volume (???).

Audio output works just fine, so no issues on that side.

Also the built in camera works fine too; it's just the mic that's not playing along.

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, and my laptop is an Acer Swift 5.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Mic not working

Quote Originally Posted by Dy1anW View Post
    Interestingly when I look in alsamixer I don't even have an option for mic volume (???).
    The default alsamixer display is just playback channels. F6 lets you pick the sound device you're interested in, and F3/F4/F5 toggle whether it's showing playback/capture/all channels.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Okay, I've finally got it working... sort of.

I tried the following options in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (not all at the same time).

options snd-hda-intel model=alc255-acer
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi
    options snd-hda-intel model=headset-mic
    alc255-acer should have been the one that should work since I'm using the ALC255 codec and on an Acer laptop. Nope, nothing.
    headset-mic was a no go.
    dell-headset-multi removed the built in mic from input devices, but the built in mic and headset mic both show up as soon as I plug in a headset, and it works fine at least. I can't test audio output (from settings), but it works.

Eh... Good enough for government work, as they say. I'm not going to try and 'fix' it any further.

Beans

Hi Dy1anW,

I'm running into similar problems and have read posts similar to this (mostly consisting of "set: options snd-hda-intel model=some_model_name"). You listed a number of model names that you checked. Is there a list of model names that I could look up and try?

I'm trying to get my internal mic for the Dell Precision M6800 working on Ubuntu 18.04 (Intel HDA PCH sound card with Realtek ALC3226 codec).