Thread: Onscreen keyboard layout (default 19.04)

Beans

Onscreen keyboard layout (default 19.04)

Ubuntu 19.04.

The default onscreen keyboard works as expected, and shows up when it should.
    But I can't use it, since it lacks the Norwegian characters æøå.

Is there a way to configure this keyboard and add a Norwegian layout? Is there any documentation on how it works anywhere?
    Seems like this is Gnome Onscreen keyboard (GOK)? Or is it an Ubuntu version of something?

Beans

Re: Onscreen keyboard layout (default 19.04)

I don't know which onscreen keyboard is used in mainline Ubuntu, but it probably isn't GOK since that was scheduled to join the dodo after Gnome 2. On XUbuntu - which I am using - it's a program named 'onboard' and that takes it's configuration from the keyboard configuration. Even if you're not using 'onboard', trying the keyboard settings seems logical to me.

Since I already have two layouts (German and US) adding a third for Norwegian was just a couple of mouse clicks (right-click on the language selector in the tray, keyboard settings, Tab 'Layouts' in the dialog that comes up, Button 'Add', select Norwegian in the list, 'ok',close - 6 clicks, to be precise) and from that point I could switch 'onboard' to Norwegian by clicking on the Language selector (or by hitting both 'ctrl'-keys).

Holger

Edit: ... and even with the US-Layout, æ,Æ,å and Å can be entered using AltGr with w or z.
    Or you can 'long-click' on the respective base-key (a or o) and select the variant from a popup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; October 17th, 2019 at 08:45 PM.