Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highest monitor resolution not available

Beans

Highest monitor resolution not available

After a number of years away from Ubuntu, I'm back to using it again, and it's overall an enjoyable experience so far! However, I'm having an issue with setting my monitor resolution. I'm using a Prism+, which claims to support resolutions up to 2560x1440. My graphics card is a GeForce RTX 2060 and the monitor is connected via the display port. I'm using the Nvidia driver on Ubuntu 18.04.

The highest resolution available in the X Server settings is 1920x1080. I tried following this guide to enable the 2560x1440 resolution, but it didn't work (also it's for an older version of Ubuntu). Some of the comments seem to indicate that the Nvidia driver has to be disabled.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue?

Beans

Re: Highest monitor resolution not available

Nvidia site tells me the 430.34 driver is needed for your 2060 card. Is that what your running?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The log file is at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That might tell you why it's not picking the mode that you're interested in. You don't need to muck about with custom modelines if your monitor is properly advertising its capabilities through EDID.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What driver are you using and where did you get it from?

Beans

It's the Nvidia driver, version 430.50. This is a work computer and everything was set up before I started using the machine, so I don't know the details of how it was set up. It's a tiny company, so no IT department or anything! I think they just installed the Nvidia driver and left it at that. I heard that I might have more luck with an open source driver.

Beans

Please post the output of xrandr.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    The log file is at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That might tell you why it's not picking the mode that you're interested in. You don't need to muck about with custom modelines if your monitor is properly advertising its capabilities through EDID.
    I'm looking at the log file, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I don't normally delve into these things.

I'm trying access what is being picked up through EDID.

Code:
    ~$ sudo get-edid
    This is read-edid version 3.0.2. Prepare for some fun.
    Attempting to use i2c interface
    No EDID on bus 1
    No EDID on bus 2
    No EDID on bus 3
    No EDID on bus 4
    1 potential busses found: 0
    How do I interpret this?

Then I ran "sudo parse-edid", but the terminal just hangs. Is there another tool for this? Or is this a sign that the monitor isn't actually reporting its capabilities at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Please post the output of xrandr.
    This is what I get, which matches what I see as options in the Nvidia X server settings:

Code:
    ~$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
    DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DP-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 700mm x 400mm
       1920x1080     60.00 + 144.00   119.88*   59.94    50.00  
       1680x1050     59.95  
       1600x900      60.00  
       1440x900      59.89  
       1280x1024     75.02    60.02  
       1280x720     119.88   100.00    60.00    59.94    50.00  
       1152x864      59.96  
       1024x768      75.03    60.00  
       800x600       75.00    60.32  
       720x576       50.00  
       720x480       59.94  
       640x480       75.00    59.94    59.93  
    DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Beans

Its bedtime here, have to chime back in tomorrow when I can do a better job of thinking

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    I'm looking at the log file, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I don't normally delve into these things.
    Well, you can always post it here.

What you'd expect to see is a section where the driver queries the monitor for the resolutions that it advertises, then compares the result with its own checks to create a list of modes and timings that they both agree on, and then picks the one that it thinks is best.

I suspect that your monitor is not properly advertising the modes that it can do, although it's possible that the driver is rejecting the mode for some other reason. The log file will probably say either way. Your attempts to probe the monitor's EDID seem to support the idea that the monitor isn't responding as helpfully as it might.

If it does turn out that your monitor isn't advertising properly, you can specify enough information in xorg.conf to allow the driver to pick the right resolution. HorizSync and VertRefresh are usually sufficient, which you can generally get from the monitor's specs.

But it's best to establish that is what the issue is before you start poking at the config files. It's also generally a good idea to make sure that you're comfortable copying or editing text files from the command line before you poke it; misconfiguration means that you might temporarily end up with no graphical environment at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast