Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrusive Chrome something...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Intrusive Chrome something...

Thanks again, TheFu.

Rarely have the browser and LibreOffice open at the same time. The external email provider is just a website loggedout when done, never left idling on-line for hours.

"Low on memory" because the script that I did not request wants to load and I should allow it to load ? Do you mean I should give up control of my computer to whoever develops, pushes and invades my system with unwanted unsolicited whoknowswhat scripts software ?

It is like buying more memory, upgrading my computer to acommodate receiving trendy garbage. The point is to block the crap I do not want from taking over the memory and halting the system. Ideally, a way for blacklisting scripts from loading,.. I wish I knew more about computing and be able to understand and manage these hurdles.
    Last edited by Innernet; October 15th, 2019 at 01:36 AM.

Beans

I'm not a browser expert by any means. I googled the error you're getting and though nothing came back matching it exactly, they all seemed to point back to Firefox. I completely understand your frustrations with this. I have a laptop with 4GB RAM and I get messages on it stating that certain webpages are slowing the computer.

On my current machine, I have three tabs open (Facebook, UbuntuForums, and GMail) and System Monitor is showing web content processes taking more than 1GB of RAM.

Do you see this error when on a certain page? If yes, then you might have to stop using the site. If no, then the following list of things may be helpful;

1) In Firefox, go to aboutreferences#privacy and clear history and cookies. (This may log you out of some sites.)
    If still seeing the error, then;
    2) Close Firefox, then go into your home folder and rename the .mozilla folder to .mozilla_old and reopen Firefox. This will bring you back to a "new" Firefox. If then fixes the issue, then you can rename to mozilla folder back to .mozilla and then go into Preferences and export passwords and favorites, then swap the new folder back as being .mozilla and import those two files into the new profile. Let me know if you need more in depth steps, or a screen record, or screenshots on how to do those steps, because I know it can be a bit confusing the first time.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Innernet View Post
    "Low on memory" because the script that I did not request wants to load and I should allow it to load ? Do you mean I should give up control of my computer to whoever develops, pushes and invades my system with unwanted unsolicited whoknowswhat scripts software ?
    Actually, if it is Firefox which is the problem, then you did request it to run that script. The 'chrome://'-scheme is a way to access local resources so it's either a part of the Firefox UI (which is written in a mix of XUL (a markup-language to describe and place UI elements), CSS (to format the elements created through XUL) and JavaScript (to actually react to actions on the elements)) or it's a Firefox add-on. In both cases it was your decision to install and run it (except if it's some kind of stealth-install malware add-on ... don't laugh, I've seen one working a few years ago on a Ubuntu 12.04 machine in the office; it inserted links to ads on keywords in any loaded page ...). If this happened on my machine I would go through the add-ons carefully and uninstall all non-essential ones and I'd limit the number of content-threads (default is 4, I've been running with 2 for several months now).

And as far as blocking script on websites from executing is concerned, there's an add-on named No-Script which will stop the execution of scripts on a per host basis. It's one my 'essential' add-ons (even though sites I haven't visited before often come up blank; have to allow some scripts on those - either temporarily for the session or permanently (rare ...) - to even see the text of the page). Another 'essential' is an Add-blocker (more than half of all the JavaScript trouble I've encountered was with ads).

Holger

Beans
    Distro

Hi.
    Happening more often, with increased 'swap'
    First a yellow strip telling that "a script is slowing down the browser, Do you want to stop it or wait ?"
    Unable to take an image of it, but later shows the following attachment:

Screenshot from 2019-12-09 13-04-53.png

Selecting the box "Don't ask me again" means that the dialog will not appear again and will have no warning of the anomaly,
    or
    When I next select "stop script" will be remembered every time the anomaly occurs and the script will be stopped "without asking again" ?
    or
    Selecting "Continue" next will send me to continuing being stuck for the unknown anomaly ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

What if any extensions/add-ons are you using ?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...e_Registration
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, Frogs Hair.
    Am not conscious of using any. Running a very lean system with light usage. But could fetch information on what extensions may be running if you instruct me how to display such.

Beans
    Distro

Look under addons as in the picture. The error can be caused by a theme, addon, or tool bar element , but there is little information on how to prevent or eliminate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by Innernet; December 9th, 2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added second image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you want a very light browser, dillo is it. No javascript at all. It has terrible HTTPS security, so don't use it for buying anything, but if you use mobile versions of websites with dillo, you can usually access the stuff you want with minimal ads and minimal performance issues.

I had a few 2GB systems for a few years - an Asus Eee and an Acer C720. Both would crash after getting slow as the swap was used up. I bumped the swap to 4G and it never crashed again. I use ublock origin and NoScript addons in Firefox to limit the bad stuff. I also block about 130K advertising and tracking websites with a DNS and /etc/hosts settings at the entire-host level. It isn't perfect, but I find the trade offs worth it. YMMV.
    How-to guide that I wrote: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-...speed-30814279 in 2011. Still relevant.

Moved to a 4G laptop which also started crashing due to low memory. Bumped up my swap partition to 4.1G and the feedback before crashing (system would slow down) let me take action to close big programs using lots of RAM BEFORE any crash happened. Modern browsers are RAM hogs. Right now, firefox is using 3.1G of RAM on my current system according to top, to the system says only 520MB is actually in RAM.
    Code:
    $ free -hm
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           7.7G        2.7G        2.3G        517M        2.7G        4.1G
    Swap:          4.5G          0B        4.5G
    tells a different story. I'm going to believe the 'free' output.

I also use a few other firefox addons
    * tab control on the left - cannot stand top tabs.
    * Wallabag - a Read-it-Later clone.
    * Play to Kodi ... handy to send video stuff to the TV for playback.
    * Ghostery - tracking blocker.

Dillo is probably easier if you dislike javascript. I use dillo on mass-media websites like cnn.com.

Beans
    Distro

You could try disabling the gnome shell extension except when needed and see it the error still occurs. Just for your own protection from malicious links and tracking you may want add an adblock extension of your choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast