Thread: NTFS drive mounting help

Beans

Unhappy NTFS drive mounting help

I'm having severe issues auto mounting my ntfs partition as rw.

At this stage I don't know how many different iterations from x amount of different sites in order to try and solve this.

I'm relatively new to linux in general and I believe that i have a generally simple issue, but the amount of bother I am having with this, makes me think I should go back to windows....

My fstab for this drive currently looks like:

/dev/sda1 /media/paddy/TOURO ntfs-3g nls-utf8,umask-0755,uid-1000,gid-1000,rw 0 0
    #/dev/sda1 /media/paddy/TOURO ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,dmask=027,fmask=137,ui d=1000,gid=1000,windows_names 0 0

I have went through various iterations including using UUID, auto type, different dmask, fmasks,uid, gid, copying the options from a known ntfs drive that works as it should being:

/dev/sdd2 /media/paddy/3TB\040HDD auto gid=1000,uid=1000,nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

but this did not work as intended for the sda1 drive.

If anyone could help, the amount it would be appreciated would be unbelievable...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: NTFS drive mounting help

Is Windows hibernated or need chkdsk.
    If so then the Linux NTFS driver will not mount NTFS as rw, but only read only.

Best not to use device like /dev/sdd2, but use UUID or label. Device order can change and then you are trying to mount incorrect partition. Whenever I plug in a flash drive my device order changes on reboot.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mo...dowsPartitions
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983336
    Create mount point, mount & edit fstab from user Morbius1 in Post # 6 - suggest using templates instead.
    Good example of manually mounting, except I prefer /mnt/xxx as location to mount to.
    For ntfs UUID shown is example only see below:
    UUID=XXXXXXXXXXX /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
    Window_names prevents the use of invalid windows characters:
    (which are the nine characters ” * / : < > ? \ | and those whose code is less than 0×20)
    uid=1000 should fix the trash problems as well:

I also have seen this as parameters:
    nodev,permissions,windows_names,nosuid,noatime,asy nc,big_writes,timeout=2,uid=1000,gid=1000
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: NTFS drive mounting help

Hi oldfred,

chkdsk worked an absolute treat...

I still had my old hdd with windows(hadn't completely commited to the switch yet) and once I booted up, it ran chkdsk and it appeared to delete a load of thumbs.db files due to invalid filenames and also deleted index entry ECU Emulator.eml:OECustomProperty.

Once completed, I switched back to Ubuntu, used the manual GUI to mount the drive, and could read/write again.

I'll update my fstab following your instructions above.

Thank you so much for helping me out, you have no idea how much this was driving me crazy...