Thread: still getting en_BR spelling checks in firefox -and- incomplete language support

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

still getting en_BR spelling checks in firefox -and- incomplete language support

i am still getting en_BR spelling checks in firefox. i should be getting en_US. i have removed all packages i can find with "british" in the name. yet this is still happening. i have looked for references in /etc but find none (or don't know the right things to look for). i recall encountering a case a few weeks ago of another application doing spelling checks with en_BR. i have used right-click >> Add to Dictionary on many words like "color" so i don't see the red underlines for a en_US spelling. does anyone know how to fix this?

i'm still getting that "Incomplete Language Support" pop up when i boot up and log in to admin. i tracked that down as something missing for British language support. it apparently thinks the system wants en_BR. could this be something leaked into the distro by a Canonical developer? where is the default system language specified? can this be related to my firefox spelling check issue?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Re: still getting en_BR spelling checks in firefox -and- incomplete language support

Perhaps this was done at installation time by mistake? On my Xubuntu I installed Synaptic just so I could use the search feature for obscure stuff... perhaps a Synaptic search of "en_US" could be helpful, or a re-install of the language packages you want.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro

Re: still getting en_BR spelling checks in firefox -and- incomplete language support

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Perhaps this was done at installation time by mistake? On my Xubuntu I installed Synaptic just so I could use the search feature for obscure stuff... perhaps a Synaptic search of "en_US" could be helpful, or a re-install of the language packages you want.
    it usually defaults to US for the keyboard, so i have gotten into the habit of just pressing enter to get past it. but if that was changed, that would be my mistake for not being observant. i will do the reinstall of the language packages and see if that helps. i did also install the packages for the Scandinavian languages. i don't know if that could confuse anything.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Let us know if that works. I am learning sign language, by the way. Totally off-topic, but perhaps future editions of Xubuntu will offer it as an option!

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro

there are websites that do. i ran across some nice ones a few years ago.

Beans
    Distro

sorry for the delayed reply.

yes, it does seem to have worked. now i am getting squiggly red underlines on "colour" just as i would expect with an American dictionary in effect.

while doing that i saw packages for Australia, Canada, and South Africa. i removed all of those to be sure. there was also a generic (no language or country name shown) language package for firefox. it was among those that were re-installed. everything with "English" in the name or description was reinstalled or if it had another country listed, was removed. all the packages for Scandinavian languages were untouched (dictionaries).