Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to pin openssh from 'eoan' in 'bonic'

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to pin openssh from 'eoan' in 'bonic'

Quote Originally Posted by sasatefa2009 View Post
    Well, sir, you have to convince me then that these changes below are not necessary
    They need to do no such thing.

You've come to the stunning revelation that software that's under development gets new features that would be nice to have. It's almost as if putting in new features that are nice to have is exactly what developing software means.

That doesn't mean that it's a security fix that needs to be backported, though.

If you want Eoan features, you should be using Eoan. If you want rolling release software, you should be using a rolling release distro. If you want particular new software versions to have their dependencies satisfied, you should be using a PPA.

No one here is going to say that users should be mixing-and-matching random packages from disparate releases as a matter of course. Even if you had a super-firm grasp of packaging and release policy, which doesn't seem all that likely given the hostility, the next random user that stumbles across the thread might not have.

You are, of course, perfectly welcome to break your package manager in whichever way you see fit; it's your system, after all. We won't be terribly inclined to help you to do so.

Beans

Well, i took the time to parse the changes in both and these are the changes that doesn't exist in the openssh for bionic.
    My mistake. I thought this thread was about security updates.

Yes, for new features, you need a newer release version, as you are trying to do. I'm afraid that porting a newer release package to an older distro release is beyond my abilities. It may be easier to compile from source, I don't know. The easiest thing would be to upgrade to Eoan after backing up the home folders.

Beans

The other option is building openssh from source: https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When running an LTS, I don't want any of the features to change. I want things to keep working exactly as they did at install until support ends. That usually means only back porting for security needs, never for new features. On LTS desktops, when google, twitter, box, or some other clouding service changes something, my needs for stability and the end-user's needs for something that actually work have a conflict. What good is a twitter application that can't actually tweet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    My mistake. I thought this thread was about security updates.

Yes, for new features, you need a newer release version, as you are trying to do. I'm afraid that porting a newer release package to an older distro release is beyond my abilities. It may be easier to compile from source, I don't know. The easiest thing would be to upgrade to Eoan after backing up the home folders.
    If you want new features, look for a reputable, trusted, PPA for the release you run.

Beans

The changelog is not just new features, it has a lot of "fixes" for bugs reported by users to the openssh team.
    Does the bug has to be CVE to be considered serious ?

The real question out of this hassle is, why the ubuntu team behind the openssh package are not just updating it to latest version in all distros instead of backporting certain fixes ? and who decides what a serious bug and what is not ?

The End of Standard Support for ubuntu 18.04 is April 2023, is openssh going to be at version 7.6p1 until this day with only backporting cherry-picked bugs ?
    Last edited by sasatefa2009; October 14th, 2019 at 12:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Actually Chris, that's not quite correct.
    I looked and sure enough maintainer is listed as Ubuntu Core devs... My comment was based on a podcast on the weekend and what I thought I heard Popey say; and it's very expected of him to talk about snaps, but I didn't hear or register the 'snaps' as I was doing something else as I listened to it (in the hour or so before my comment). Thanks for correction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12