Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Remix 12.04 'howto'

Beans

Rescue Remix 12.04 'howto'

My ubuntu 18.04lts laptop bootup circus act has returned - the one that "fsck /dev/sda1" fixed. (circus act is: boot, hold down power button part way thru, boot again and all is normal... until you boot next time and it will freezeup if you don't stop the initial bootup part way thru and begin boot again...) Got Rescue Remix v12.04 iso on a CD, boots off of it fine... comes up with nice graphic and "BOOT" at the bottom.... don't know how to use this thing... documentation is severely lacking and the little there is is so cryptic I glaze over :-\ note: once in Ubuntu 18.04lts I try to go to terminal and run fsck but get mount error.. then try umount /dev/sda1 but get busy error...really lost ;-} I can get to the grub prompt during bootup but it doesn't recognize fsck.... Vista64 laptop's working fine though and helping me during this linux mess Just would like to get to where I can run 'fsck /dev/sda1' again....
    Last edited by batgirl2; October 14th, 2019 at 10:27 AM.
    We find consultations, we learn tricks with which we deceive ourselves, but the essential thing - the way - we do not find. Listen to the river...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Rescue Remix 12.04 'howto'

Is this thread about your "bootup circus"?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Is this thread about your "bootup circus"?
    No - bootup circus will fix itself like last time IF I can get fsck to run.... need to get to where 'fsck /dev/sda1' will run and repair crap... thought 'rescue remix' would help by getting where fsck will run but unable to figure it out rescue remix w/o good howto.
    Last edited by batgirl2; October 14th, 2019 at 10:27 AM.
    We find consultations, we learn tricks with which we deceive ourselves, but the essential thing - the way - we do not find. Listen to the river...

Beans

Do you have a DVD or USB stick? It would be easier to use a live DVD. Then you don't have to boot the existing installation just run fsck from the live session and reboot.

Beans

like I say above, got this 'rescue remix CD' (similar to live CD) that comes up with this prompt "Boot:" that I don't know what to do with... the laptop is old tech - CD, no DVD
    Last edited by batgirl2; October 14th, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

Beans

I'm not familiar with the 'rescue remix CD' it seems to be trying to boot the Ubuntu installed on the hard drive and running into problems. Does the computer have a USB Slot? If so you can either make a live USB stick or use a USB DVD drive to open a live session. An older Ubuntu live CD may work but depending on the file system on the existing install may not work.

Beans

Beans

once in Ubuntu 18.04lts I try to go to terminal and run fsck but get mount error.. then try umount /dev/sda1 but get busy error
    From the above it would seem you are trying to run fsck on the system you are booted to and running. That won't work. You need to use something on a CD/DVD/USB and probably the best option would be the medium you used to install 18.04. I'm not familiar with the Rescue REmox but looking briefly at the site you linked to, it indicates it is designed for 12.04 which is over 7 years old and the most recent date on that page is nearly 4 years ago. If you have the Ubuntu install medium, that would be the simplest/best choice.

Beans

Bought laptop with ubuntu 16.10 preinstalled, and have just been upgrading to 17.04, 17.10, then 18.04LTS (then stopped)... no CD/DVD on ubuntu and since I'm 32-bit, there's no 32-bit iso for 18.04LTS... as far as rescue remix 12.04, the info just says works on Linux, not just ubuntu, and not any other additional requirements for the OS. Don't think it it limited to 12.04 and older ubuntu... my G4L (Ghost for Linux ) uses several older kernels and still does Great imaging my other stuff w/o issues...

Beans

The quote below from your original thread.

Got Rescue Remix v12.04 iso on a CD, boots off of it fine... comes up with nice graphic and "BOOT" at the bottom...
    See the link below, scroll about half-way down the page and it has images of the screen and shows what you enter there.

https://linuxlandit.blogspot.com/201...inux-live.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast