Thread: ZFS and encryption for root file system

Beans

ZFS and encryption for root file system

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but would it be possible in (the near) future to have native encryption in ZFS on Ubuntu?

I'm aware that 19.10 will have experimental support for ZFS as the root file system.

Also on the subject of encryption: is it possible, with ZFS native encryption, to fully encrypt the whole drive (or partition) where Ubuntu is installed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ZFS and encryption for root file system

Out today. https://arstechnica.com/information-...zfs-installer/ Jim knows his ZFS and storage in general. He's a nice person to boot.

assuming the final version of Eoan follows this one, we'll get native encryption, TRIM, device removal, and zpool checkpoints. These features have been in the ZFS on Linux master since 0.8, but this is the first time they've shown up in Ubuntu's native ZFS.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 10th, 2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added quote.

Beans

Not real sure what this means to full encryption users, but found this.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-0.8-Released

@TheFu
    Thanks for the link. I am also trying to keep up on ZFS and what will happen in 20.04 testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Does the Linux mainline kernel ship with ZFS drivers? I thought this was necessary for it to boot?

Beans

I put 19.10 on a virtual drive, and enabled the ZFS filesystem by default. The only thing I've really noticed is higher-than-anticipated memory usage (~50%). But that's supposed to be normal as I understand it. And wasted RAM sucks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That memory is NOT wasted, it is used as memory cache L1ARC! Which means that approx 90% of your disk IO will be served from the L1ARC (see arc_summary), resulting in instantaneous response times. You can limit the maximum size by changing the corresponding parameter at /sys/module/zfs/parameters/zfs_arc_max. For a desktop/laptop I limit the size to 20-25% of my memory size.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; October 21st, 2019 at 09:03 PM.