Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Any luck with ProWritingAid under Ubuntu/WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] Any luck with ProWritingAid under Ubuntu/WINE?

What's really old, apparently, is the WINE version number. According to this command:

bill@bill-UBU:~$ wine --version
    ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
    wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
    bill@bill-UBU:~$

I'm running 2.0. Isn't WINE up there around 4.something now? If so, I should update it, no?

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Apologies for the late response. When a thread is marked "solved" by its author, I unsubscribe from it. I only happened to run across yours again by accident.

The default WINE version installed by each version repo is invariably old. This is done because WINE is under heavy development and therefore changes constantly, whereas the Ubuntu devs understandably prefer stability over new bells and whistles. But when it comes to WINE, those new bells and whistles often make all the difference between functionality and non-functionality.

You can always elect to install the latest version of wine rather than the default one in the repos by adding the WINE PPA to your software sources. I do not usually recommend the addition of PPAs, but one exception is WINE.

Please be careful. There are many PPAs for WINE, most of which are obsolete or of questionable security and therefore are not advisable. The official WINE repos are hosted at winehq.org. Instructions for installing it are: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I added that very WINE PPA and the software updater failed with a "check your internet connection" error (which is ludicrous considering I am here typing). When I uncheck it, the updater runs fine. I do, now, apparently have the latest version. I've managed to get three programs (all three not listed in the database) and would love to submit them for review. However, nobody seems inclined to help me over there. I've submitted three emails now concerning the return email I'm supposed to get when I register. I can't raise anyone. So, I'm happily running Windows stuff I thought I'd lose when I changed to LINUX.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    …nobody seems inclined to help me over there. I've submitted three emails now concerning the return email I'm supposed to get when I register. I can't raise anyone. So, I'm happily running Windows stuff I thought I'd lose when I changed to LINUX.
    They are good people producing a good (and needed) product purely as a public service, to which your own experience will attest. It's a shame they aren't responding to you. Nothing more you can do about that, I suppose.

It's good that you got more than just the one app working. Congrats. However, just a minor alert: it's not best practice to port over Windows apps to run on Linux. While WINE is a good app and appears to work marvellously in your case, in the final analysis, it's best to run Linux apps in Linux and Windows apps in Windows. Among other reasons, WINE is not guaranteed to continue working for you (regressions are a known and constant problem), Windows apps do not adhere to Linux security practices, WINE is a know security risk (so the less apps running on it, the better) and the point of moving to Linux was—presumably—to move to Linux.

The Bionic repos have 64,229 packages available for installation. Though many are not strictly apps, a large proportion are. I encourage you to look for native Linux replacements for some of those Windows programs. I think that their functionality and completeness might surprise you.

Good Luck and Happy Ubuntu-ing!
    DH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh, I've been searching for replacements to be sure. A couple of them, like my railroad simulator Trainz, will not run on anything but Windows. For this, i bought a super-duper gaming machine (running Windows 10 unfortunately). As I find replacements for Windows applications in Linux, I remove them from Windows. Just a couple left. Some of what I run under WINE are simple hacks and I know they will be blown out of the water at some point.

Being an author, I was also reluctant to stop using Microsoft's Office as I've found LibreOffice Writer not quite up to the demands I make of Word. That, I still do on Win10. In fact, I use Remmina to connect my Linux machine to the Win10 and do odd jobs. I have one bank which refuses to support any browser other than IE.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12