Thread: ubuntu restart and load windows automatically

Beans

ubuntu restart and load windows automatically

I have an ACPI problem which means I need to boot into Ubuntu and reboot into Windows. The BIOS can't turn ACPI off or otherwise be configured to solve it.
    Is there a way to make Ubuntu automatically load as first boot and restart itself and go to windows?

So somehow make Ubuntu load first > automatically restart as soon as the kernel is loaded > make Windows load as a one-off first, it would solve my problem.

How could I find that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ubuntu restart and load windows automatically

I don't think that is possible, without re-writing the GRUB menu each time, doing an update-grub, and changing the default OS to boot. Then you'd have Windows as the default, which is worse than death, IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: ubuntu restart and load windows automatically

Quote Originally Posted by iceze View Post
    Is there a way to make Ubuntu automatically load as first boot and restart itself and go to windows?
    If you're using UEFI, you can use systemd to boot into a different EFI image. I've used it to boot into the system setup, but I understand that it can also load the Windows boot loader (I haven't used Windows for 15 years, so I have no experience of that). I believe the command is systemd-boot, but I'm not near my computer to check