Thread: Ubuntu newb: no screen signal after install of Desktop 18.04.3

Beans

Ubuntu newb: no screen signal after install of Desktop 18.04.3

Absolute newb here, having problems with my first install. I've made a bootable USB stick with the installer for Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.3. When I boot on the stick, I get the simple text menu, allowing me to try or install Ubuntu. If I choose Install, the signal to my screen dies. Instead, I tried the option to Try Ubuntu without installing, and it took me to the GUI without any problems.. From there, I chose the option to install Ubuntu to a local SSD, and the installation process seemed to complete without any problems. When booting on the disk I just installed to, I again loose the signal to my monitor, and have nothing but a blank screen. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu newb: no screen signal after install of Desktop 18.04.3

Hi, welcome to the fora.

in a live boot, please copy
    Code:
    sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
    and paste it to the command line, run it and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu newb: no screen signal after install of Desktop 18.04.3

The problem went away by itself. After watching a movie on Netflix on a different PC for a couple of hours, I switched my KVM switch back to the Ubuntu machine, and now, everything worked fine. I'm guessing the issue was related to the KVM-switch, rather than the new Ubuntu install.