Thread: Hardware ID

Beans

Question Hardware ID

Hi,

How can I change hardware ID (serial numbers) all components (mainboard, ram, gpu, cpu, hard drive etc.)?
    Permanent change is possible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Hardware ID

It might be helpful if you would tell us what your goal is.

Do you want to change what the hardware reports about itself? Do you want the OS to use different identification information? What OS are you using?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by draboluk View Post
    Hi,

How can I change hardware ID (serial numbers) all components (mainboard, ram, gpu, cpu, hard drive etc.)?
    Permanent change is possible?
    I've never heard about this being done. S/N is burned into the chips, but each specific device should have documentation about modifying the firmware. Some software licenses are tied to those burned in numbers. You might be able to have a small side-chip replaced on the motherboard, but there will be risks.

With some NICs, you can change the MAC, but only if the NIC supports it and the driver supports that change. macchanger is a tool to change a MAC on a NIC. GNU MAC Changer. This doesn't have anything to do with the S/N.

Beans

I received an order from clients. We have various computer components, complete pc. I would like to change the serial numbers displayed on each operating system (all Linux distributions, Windows, Apple OS). How can I do it without physical interference?

Example for RAM: sudo dmidecode --type 17
    Code:
    Serial Number: 0021C245
    Part Number HMT251U6CFR9C-PB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For what purpose? Are you trying to get around a licensing issue with Windows and Apple?
    Last edited by wildmanne39; 6 Days Ago at 05:32 AM.

Beans

You'd have to flash the SMBIOS (which is risky, even with the right utility). I know HP has a tool called dmifit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    For what purpose? Are you trying to get around a licensing issue with Windows and Apple?
    No. I don't care about guarantees or licenses.

That what I know dmidecode reports information about system's hardware as described in system BIOS and does not scan hardware, it only reports what the BIOS told it to. My goal is recognize hardware by any os and display hardware with other serial numbers. I'm not sure but os reading hardware information from the BIOS or scan hardware and display. I wonder how can I change serial numbers directly... for example... in ram because when I insert them to another pc the serial number might be default > That's why I care about permanent change.
    Last edited by draboluk; 5 Days Ago at 06:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

After discussion with other Staff members this thread will remain closed, from the CoC, which is the forum rules:
    Material that suggests illegal activity or contains illegal content is also forbidden. We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here.
    Edit:
    CoC located here:

https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules
    Last edited by wildmanne39; 4 Days Ago at 06:14 PM.