Thread: the trouble with GUI

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the trouble with GUI

i was using a GUI program this evening that i have not used for a while. it appears to have been upgraded to a new design. it used to have a button to do what i ran it to do. now it has fewer buttons. i couldn't find one to do what i wanted to do. i clicked around for a while and could not find this action in any of the dropdowns. but, i did find "help" so i clicked on that. it brought up a subwindow with some help text. i scrolled down and found the action i wanted to do and 3 steps needed to do it. the first step was "click on edit". where the f- is "edit". i don't see that, either. i did find a button to show keyboard shortcuts. neither action is in the list of shortcuts. and the obvious shortcut "e" doesn't do anything.

why can't they just say where it is? are they ass-u-me -ing everyone in the world has the same life experiences that they do?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: the trouble with GUI

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

This is one of the reasons I really like VLC. Take a look at their version 1.02 from 10 years ago: https://www.vlchelp.com/download-old-versions/
    It's the same UI design. There's no need to change what works.
    Last edited by orangedots; October 8th, 2019 at 08:07 PM.

Beans

The great thing about Linux is knowing you can do almost anything from the command line.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    The great thing about Linux is knowing you can do almost anything from the command line.
    +1. I use the command line, even to playback video from local and remote sources or to watch broadcast TV.
    I do hate most of the GUI changes browsers have made to remove menus or to waste more vertical space when everyone has wide screen monitors now. Use the left side!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    +1. I use the command line, even to playback video from local and remote sources or to watch broadcast TV.
    I do hate most of the GUI changes browsers have made to remove menus or to waste more vertical space when everyone has wide screen monitors now. Use the left side!
    You caused me to look at Firefox's tabs and remember how ticked off I was when they made the tabs squared off to match Windows 10 theming. I still think it is repulsive, but I can't bring myself to use Chrome for more than Google Maps and other Google tools.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Tree Style Tabs is one of my mandatory firefox addons.