Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Ubuntu - SSD not detected

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing Ubuntu - SSD not detected

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    I have a question. Is the target device for the Linux installation (your SSD) set up with a GPT partition table? Isn't that a prerequsite for a UEFI installation?
    Only Windows requires GPT with UEFI. Linux does not. However, some UEFI BIOS will only work properly with GPT boot setups. That is a bug in the implementation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    boot-repair has trouble with all the complexities of possible boot configurations. Also, if you don't have any Linux installed, there's no reason for it.

For the last few years, the sole good purpose for boot-repair has been the "gather information" button. Nothing else. Don't ask it to fix anything, unless the computer is BIOS/legacy, doesn't have UEFI or any GPT disks.

Linux installers are perfectly capable of putting an OS onto a completely empty disk/ssd or wiping a disk/ssd and putting the installation onto it. That does require that the devices are working. Some really, really, new motherboards might not be completely compatible with Linux. OTOH, if the motherboard is over a year old and you've updated the motherboard firmware, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Exactly which SSD are you using? Is it a Samsung or something else? Is is an NVMe or SATA? Is the motherboard setup to use the interface-type that the SSD supports? My motherboard has 6 SATA ports and 2 NVMe slots. The NVMe is an M.2 form factor. If either NVMe slot is enabled, then SATA ports 5 and 6 are disabled. None of this is documented in the firmware, just in the motherboard manual. Even then, it isn't clear in the manual. I had to get clarification on the ROG support forums.

IBM is known for following standards. If the machine has SecureBoot, then it is UEFI.

I don't see any mention of the specific version and release of Ubuntu being used. If you are new, 18.04 is probably the release you need. Depending on the CPU, RAM, and GPU, you might want to avoid the default Ubuntu which uses Gnome3 and pick a lighter environment like XFCE, LXDE, or Mate instead. Any of those need fewer resources and less GPU than Gnome3. I like the Mate GUI over the others these days - sorta like Mint- but I haven't looked at either recently. I did run XFCE and LXDE for a few years and they are fine, light, DEs too.

None of this is probably all that helpful. Sorry.
    The SSD is a patriot one I had spare - 120GB. I looked on their website to upgrade firmware on it, but couldn't see anything.

I have tried to update the BIOS/ UEFI - but the download for the CD ISO will not 'burn' to the USB using rufus or etcher - they both say the image isn't bootable...

not having much luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Usually with UEFI there are 3 ways to install UEFI updates.
    1. From Windows
    2. Directly from UEFI using update file on a FAT32 partition.
    3. DOS bootable (FAT32) flash drive with an executeable to upload update file.

I normally use 2 with my Linux systems.

Boot-Repair can do some repairs on UEFI systems, but all it really is doing is re-installing grub. And with UEFI you need to know if flash drive and then Boot-Repair is in UEFI or BIOS boot mode. It may default to installing or trying to install wrong version of grub.b There is grub-pc for BIOS and grub0efi-amd64 for 64 bit UEFI PC systems.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Well - how frustrating!!!

BUT - got there in the end...

I created a DOS bootable USB with the UEFI update - but the system would not boot it!!! so I changed a setting in the BIOS - CSM (Compatibility support module) - enabled it. This allowed me to boot from the USB, but interestingly the SSD drive were listed in the boot options! I ran the UEFI update, but I already had the latest version.

So rebooted tried the ubuntu again and IT INSTALLED!!!

thanks for the pointers - glad to get there eventually!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12