Thread: Fingerprint login on ASUS Zenbook with Elan reader

Beans

Fingerprint login on ASUS Zenbook with Elan reader

I've got a ASUS Zenbook with Elan fingerprint reader. I can set up the fingerprint login successfully and it works for a couple of times. But after that it just stops recognising fingerprints. I wonder if anyone has managed to use the Elan fingerprint reader on a laptop successfully. The release notes for libfprint say that Elan is supported, but yes, it's new as the support only was introduced in the version before the previous.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

Re: Fingerprint login on ASUS Zenbook with Elan reader

Yes I have the same issue on my ASUS UX490UAR. It work great when logged in to Windows 10 but not Ubuntu 19.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bijan2 View Post
    Yes I have the same issue on my ASUS UX490UAR. It work great when logged in to Windows 10 but not Ubuntu 19.10.
    Well, we have to wait for a new version then hoping they will improve it.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I've got a ASUS Zenbook with Elan fingerprint reader. I can set up the fingerprint login successfully and it works for a couple of times. But after that it just stops recognising fingerprints. I wonder if anyone has managed to use the Elan fingerprint reader on a laptop successfully. The release notes for libfprint say that Elan is supported, but yes, it's new as the support only was introduced in the version before the previous.

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 with a ASUS VivoBook with Elan fingerprint reader, it let's me enroll fingers but has A lot of trouble recognizing it's hit or miss. I have to register EVERY finger available as the same finger to get the best results. And I really don't want to use Windows just so my fingerprint scanner works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Have you scanned the same finger more than once? Have you cleaned your finger and sensor? These are the most common problems.