Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 Freezing Up Issue - Log Interpretation

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 Freezing Up Issue - Log Interpretation

Dear All,

After installing Ubuntu on a desktop PC (AMD® Ryzen 5 2400g processor; graphics: AMD® Raven; 64-bit; 250 GB SSD) it would crash few hours into browsing and streaming. Things got better after upgrades were installed. Still it would occasionally happen, but a lot less frequently. In the last few days I haven't had a crash even when the computer was left on for few days (knock on wood). I saved the Logs info from my last crash (I attached two .txt files: "All" logs: 2109-10-03_10pm_crash_All_logs.txt and a shorter list "Important" logs: 2109-10-03_10pm_crash_Important_Logs.txt . I was wondering if any of you could have a look at it and tell me if I should be concern about something. I'm completely new to Linux and programming but I decided to challenge myself and learn computers via Linux. Understanding those logs is important for me regardless if the problem prevails or not.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    Last edited by michael-bielesky; 1 Week Ago at 01:59 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 Freezing Up Issue - Log Interpretation

Unfortunately, it froze up on me again while I was just browsing on the net. Are there any utilities that could help me determine the source of the problem?

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by michael-bielesky View Post
    Ryzen 5 2400g
    The support for the Raven Ridge APUs wasn't done in time to be put into the 18.04 release. You could try using one of the PPAs that gives a newer Mesa stack, or one of the newer Ubuntu releases, and see if that helps.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Thanks CatKiller. I followed your suggestions an upgraded to Mesa 19.08 which I believe is the newest version out there. In case it does not help, will getting a Ryzen chip without an integrated graphics solve the instability problem?

Mike

Beans

For others without experience like me here's a link on how to upgrade to Mesa stack 19.0.8:
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...u-18-04-19-04/
    Last edited by michael-bielesky; 1 Week Ago at 11:36 AM.

Beans

I've also updated my motherboard's (ASUS PRIME B450M-A) BIOS. I will update you in few weeks.

Mike
    Last edited by michael-bielesky; 1 Week Ago at 09:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The support for those APUs not being available until just after they were released, and the software cycle for 18.04 finishing some time before they were released, was definitely a thing that happened.

The motherboard OEMs being caught flat-footed by Ryzen not being a cheap-and-nasty solution, but it actually required some attention and effort on their part, was also definitely a thing that happened.

The steps you've taken - BIOS update and getting on a newer graphics stack - should definitely put you in a good place in terms of support. It should, in time, help you to establish whether it's fixed your problem or if there's something else that needs looking at. Intermittent faults are really frustrating.

Another thing that's probably worth checking - just in case - is to run memtest overnight. Memory timing was one of the things that the OEMs struggled to get a handle on at first - to the extent that there were spreadsheets of memory module model numbers so that people could get exactly the right actual chips. It got a lot better with Zen+ and with updated BIOSes, but it's potentially worth poking at to see if there's a residual problem. If anything shows up you have quite a lot of scope to relax the timings a touch.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by michael-bielesky View Post
    ... upgraded to Mesa 19.08 which I believe is the newest version out there. In case it does not help, will getting a Ryzen chip without an integrated graphics solve the instability problem?
    Ubuntu 19.10 has Mesa 19.2.

It's to early to conclude that it's a hardware problem which requires hardware changes. There are still more software options to try.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    (...) Another thing that's probably worth checking - just in case - is to run memtest overnight. Memory timing was one of the things that the OEMs struggled to get a handle on at first - to the extent that there were spreadsheets of memory module model numbers so that people could get exactly the right actual chips. It got a lot better with Zen+ and with updated BIOSes, but it's potentially worth poking at to see if there's a residual problem. If anything shows up you have quite a lot of scope to relax the timings a touch.
    I ran MemTest86 v8.2 Free from a bootable USB as instructed here: https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Instruction from Readme.txt:

"For Linux:

1) Insert a USB drive into a USB slot.
    2) Determine which device the USB drive is assigned as (eg. /dev/sdc).
    3) As root, use the 'dd' command to write the image to the USB drive. For example,

sudo dd if=memtest86-usb.img of=<dev>

where <dev> is the device the USB key is assigned to. Use the base device (ie. /dev/sdc) not a partition designation (ie. /dev/sdc1)."

The test was completed with zero errors, but I'm attaching the output as an HTML file in case you want to look at it: MemTest86-Report-20191006-115354.odt

Mike
    Last edited by michael-bielesky; 1 Week Ago at 05:43 PM.

Beans

Hi!

So things look a lot better, but the system still has a tendency to freeze up once in while. It's rare enough that it wouldn't particularly bother me, if it wasn't for molecular computations that I'm planning to run, some which might need several days to complete. Any other suggestions on how to further improve the system's stability before I start looking into getting a new CPU and graphics card?

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast