Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for tool to quickly crop an image

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

looking for tool to quickly crop an image

i often have an image and want to crop out just part of it to post online because other parts i do not want to post for various reasons. i have been doing this with gimp. with gimp it is not quick because gimp has so much for major image editing and compositioning. for the quick crops i want a program that does cropping and nothing else. that's what i mean by simple. i would see the full image and outline a rectangle on it, crop it, then save the crop under a different name. if it can do this with videos, that's a plus, but not essential. it should show the size as the rectangle is being positioned. being able to resize the rectangle or slide it around are essential controls.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: looking for tool to quickly crop an image

I've been using Nomacs for quickly cropping images, but not for video.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No GUI, but I use
    Code:
    NAME
           convert  -  convert  between  image formats as well as resize an image,
           blur, crop, despeckle, dither, draw on, flip, join, re-sample, and much
           more.
    It is part of ImageMagick. There are a few front-ends to it, usually python with a simple GUI. CropAll and "display" do that. With 'display', just click on the image to see lots of options. Transform--> Crop. Crazy tiny and fast.

gThumb and shotwell are other options. I've used shotwell, which has vastly improved the last 5 yrs if you haven't looked recently.

As for cropping videos, handbrake does that with a visual queue in the preview. Some sports I enjoy aren't captured very well - they just setup a video camera to capture the entire area, when less than 25% of that size has any action for some events. Cropping videos requires re-encoding the entire thing. Shotcut is the new tool of choice for hobby media creators. I usually do cuts using mkvmerge and handbrake to transcode down to 25-35% of the original size.

Beans
    Distro

if i know in advance where to crop, convert is a great tool for repeated cropping, like a series of photos taken on a tripod, or similar screenshots. but very often i need to find where to crop.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I've been using Nomacs for quickly cropping images, but not for video.
    it's not as easy as i had hoped. it does a lot more than just crop so i have to activate cropping. but that's just press "c". easier than gimp, for sure. thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    if i know in advance where to crop, convert is a great tool for repeated cropping, like a series of photos taken on a tripod, or similar screenshots. but very often i need to find where to crop.
    Please read all TheFu posted. 'display' and 'CropAll' are graphical frontends for ImageMagick/convert. 'display' is probably already installed on your machine since it's part of IM. Since it's a frontend to most - if not all - functions of IM and its GUI is IMHO somewhat fiddly, it's probably not quite what you're looking for. 'cropall' on the other hand does cropping and resizing and nothing else.

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i would see the full image and outline a rectangle on it, crop it, then save the crop under a different name. if it can do this with videos, that's a plus, but not essential. it should show the size as the rectangle is being positioned. being able to resize the rectangle or slide it around are essential controls.
    That is exactly what you can do in Gimp. Select the crop tool (Shortcut key Shift+C), outline your crop, optionally adjust by dragging the sides, and click in the middle when done (or press Enter). To save under another name, and optionally another format, press Shift+Ctrl+E.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I use gthumb more than gimp for this simple job, largely because it is quicker to start than gimp, but both do a very similar job.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, gthumb has gone the way of many gnome applications making it more difficult to find your way around it; there are no menus so you have to hover over icons to see what they are, fine if you always use gnome, but for other DE users it's not quite so simple.

Even more simple is viewnior, a very small image viewer that has a few edit options including crop, and it works very well.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 6th, 2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Extra info added re viewnior

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Please read all TheFu posted. 'display' and 'CropAll' are graphical frontends for ImageMagick/convert. 'display' is probably already installed on your machine since it's part of IM. Since it's a frontend to most - if not all - functions of IM and its GUI is IMHO somewhat fiddly, it's probably not quite what you're looking for. 'cropall' on the other hand does cropping and resizing and nothing else.

Holger
    i misread his post the first time - sorry about that.

i do have display, but not cropall. there is no package with that name. what package do i need to install to get it? apt-file does not find "cropall".

viewnior (post #8 ajgreeny) installed (package name same as command) and displays even pnm format though not xcf. pressing "c" to crop pops up a smaller image to draw the outline in. i'd rather do that at full size or larger to be able to slice off edges better.

gthumb (post #8 ajgreeny) installs a bunch of extra package dependencies including 3 for CD/DVD that i can't use (no such device), spews lots of error messages when i try to view one image (it seems to be trying all of my images and has trouble with a few dozen), and has an unfriendly L&F (too much stuff).

ideally, i'd like to be able to just start drawing an outline for crop as soon as it loads, then press "c" to crop down to my outline. once i drop the outline, it should stay and let me tweak it. a nice extra feature would be a zoom in on the outline around where i am tweaking the outline to make it easier in tight pixels (so i can be sure undesired pixels are not inside).

gimp loses simplicity as soon as it opens a splash window then 3 running windows. but gimp has its uses like correcting the color on my dog's image which was taken from a video that was too green in highlights. BTW, she was originally named "Pixel" but everyone just started calling her "Pixie".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Link to cropall provided by Holger_Gehrke, yes?
    The GUI for display is very light. Use a mouse to control the crop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast