Thread: I'm back 19.04 is great.

Beans

I'm back 19.04 is great.

Left Ubuntu 18.04 for Win10 as I could not do the things I needed to do without Windows and had purchased a new laptop with Win so off on a tangent I went. Decided to dual boot the new laptop and installed 19.04 and it is great! Was able, with work around to get everything ported over to Ubuntu and WINE solved the one issue I cold not work around. Installation took some time but was easy and all hardware was recognized and works perfectly. Many thanks to all who work so hard on this software. Feeling good about Ubuntu!!!

Beans

Re: I'm back 19.04 is great.

Another option (if you have the resources) is running Linux inside Windows using a virtual system like VirtualBox. Gives you the best of both worlds IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My Host OS is Ubuntu Mate 18.04. My Host OS runs ZFS as file-system for the Virtual Machines with 1.5 GB memory cache and 45 GB SSD cache. I run Windows 10 in Virtualbox and that runs fine too and I have done that on 8GB machines with a 4 core Phenom II X4 B97 (desktop 2009 and 3.2Ghz) and a 2 core i5-2520M (laptop 2012, Sandy Bridge). I used 2 GB of memory for Windows, all processors and the max size for the 3D Video. In May 2019 I replaced the Phenom with a 16GB Ryzen 3 2200G, the slowest Ryzen you can buy. Windows boots in 40-60 seconds (say half from SSD cache and half from HDD) and response times are instantaneous after the first program load. (firefox takes 2-3 seconds the first time).

Beans

@lammert-nijhof
    I like your setup and plan on running something similar using a gnome3 desktop and ZFS on a 20.04 host. This should happen in about another month.

I currently have two 18.04 host installed on different SSDs, the one gnome3 and the other using xWindows as host. Performance is the same on both host running either vbox and kvm on a 4core i7. Guest get 2core and 3G ram.