Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend a good computer repair kit?

Beans

Can you recommend a good computer repair kit?

Hey guys!I'm learning more about computers and starting to have to take them apart and fix stuff and I want to buy a "kit" that has all the tools I may need in one place. I am willing to spend a good amount of money to purchase quality tools and have a nice organizing case for all of them.Before I buy, I thought I might check here if anyone has any recommendations. Maybe people here have tried different kits over the years and you have stumbled across some of the better ones. Would you kindly share what you think is my best choices for purchase?Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Can you recommend a good computer repair kit?

Desktop computers generally only need a screwdriver. Magnetic for preference. Compressed air, cotton wool, and an old credit card can be handy sometimes, if you're redoing thermal paste.

For laptops and other consumer electronics (including children's toys) the ifixit basic kit is well thought out: magnetic tipped screwdrivers in all the weird shapes, as well as things to grip and poke with.

Beans

A particular piece of voodoo to throw in is an electrostatic grounding strap. I've never used one but you're supposed to.

I think the "tools" I use most are a bunch of spare computer case and card screws.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have an i-fixit set that was a gift. Meh. Not bad, but hardly needed unless you plan to do lots of laptops with torx/allen screws. I've needed to buy another, more complete allen/torx screw set.

In general, I use a cordless screwdriver, a smaller phillips screwdriver that fits the same heads, and an old guitar pick for desktops.
    For laptops, a smaller phillips screwdriver is added, and a plastic "spudge" lever that can get between the seals to snap apart the screen or keyboard. A guitar pick gets the seal split started.

Cell phones would use the same smaller screwdriver and plastic lever. I've only worked on 2 (screen/battery replacement), so definitely NOT an expert.

About once every year, I'll need a needle-nose pliers to get a screw that was dropped.

There are lots of other things a complete computer repair shop would need. Monitor testers, PSU testers, data recovery equipment that uses eSATA with the write-pins removed, specialized software for data recovery and a multimeter with the knowledge to use it. If you do networking stuff, there's a bunch of other time-sizing tools needed.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Week Ago at 03:58 PM. Reason: added torx and phillips

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Patience and Commonsense.

A good Philips screwdriver magnetic.

A good set of torx bits rarely used but handy.

A good flashlight and a good magnifying glass.

A good small flat blade screwdriver.

A good pair of small needle nose pliers.

A good pair of small diagonal wire cutters.

An air compressor to blow out dusty computers.

An anti-static band although I don't use one either but recommended

A good power supply tester and multi-meter and know how to use them.

This is what I have on my bench plus a soldering iron and solder sucker and electronics solder if you are going to recap any mother boards or power supply's.

A couple of power cords and also a good quality surge protector not some cheap POS one.

The more computer work you do the more you will figure out what you will need to have on hand etc.
    Last edited by poorguy; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:26 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i bought a small set on sale on Aliexpress. they had larger ones, but this one seemed ok for my use. it has various kinds of screw drivers for mobile and PC repair. it also has pincers, a nice extension that lets you screw something behind the corner etc. anyway i spent about 14 EUR on it. but they did have bigger ones. if i went into this professionally i would get a bigger one with more stuff in it.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Decent workbench
    Soft 2 inch paint brush
    Phillips screwdriver (mag)
    Can of air
    Can of contact cleaner
    Smoll dish to hold screws and bits
    Coffee pot... big coffee pot
    /endtrans

Beans

Got my current one at WalMart for $40 dollars two years ago. Its ideal for taking apart laptops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This is what I used as a field tech in the early 1980s.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    A good flashlight and a good [I][B]magnifying glass.
    I vote for one of these over a flashlight: https://www.amazon.com/EverBrite-Hea...dp/B01CTX7E0E/
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast