Thread: Boot time too long when NAS not connected

Beans

Boot time too long when NAS not connected

When I start my Intel NUC and my NAS is not connected to the netword (is switched off), booting Ubuntu takes well over one minute.

When my NAS is connected, booting takes about 10 secs after which my NAS is recognised and mounted.

It is the same with my Asus laptop.

Both are in dual boot Win10/Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Following are the two entries I am using in fstab :

192.168.1.30:/volume1/photo /media/Chloe_Photos nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
    192.168.1.30:/volume1/Archives /media/Chloe_Archives nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

Any ideas what I should modify for both my computers to recognise faster that no NAS is connected?

Should I add e.g. "retry=0" to both these entries?
    Last edited by Frantic_Earthling; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Boot time too long when NAS not connected

Code:
    192.168.1.30:/volume1/photo /media/Chloe_Photos nfs    _netdev,timeo=20,intr,async     0    0
    192.168.1.30:/volume1/Archives /media/Chloe_Archives nfs    _netdev,timeo=20,intr,async  0    0
    Mounts in the fstab require 6 columns. Leaving off the last two is bad.

From the manpage:
    Code:
    the  client  and  server negotiate  the  largest  rsize  value that they can both
    support.
    No need to specify any of those values, unless the NFS server is broken.

I use autofs for all NFS mounts, not the fstab. That way, the mounts only happen when the client actually requests access to the NFS storage. The options available are in the manpages for fstab, mount, mount.nfs. The _netdev option should tell the OS not to wait for the storage to be available, in theory.
    Code:
           _netdev
                  The filesystem resides on a device that requires network  access
                  (used  to  prevent  the  system  from  attempting to mount these
                  filesystems until the network has been enabled on the system).
    It won't help if the network is up, but the NFS server isn't.

Beans

Many thanks for your answer and suggestion.
    However, when my NAS is switched off, boot time remains exactly the same: too long

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Frantic_Earthling View Post
    Many thanks for your answer and suggestion.
    However, when my NAS is switched off, boot time remains exactly the same: too long
    Autofs is the answer then.

NAS should be on first, always. I leave all my storage servers on 24/7/366 with the drives spinning. I think spinning down drives does more damage than keeping them going and hot all the time. There are a few 12 yr old HDDs here, still working. 1 failed from 2012 a few days ago after my UPS battery died and a power outage happened. I see that the OS disk on a box that has been running since 2010 has a few relocated sectors, so it needs to be replaced. It is on a different UPS which didn't have any power issues, well, not in the last 2+ yrs since the batteries on that other UPS needed replacements.

Beans

Thanks again for your help.

I eventually settled for "nofail".
    This was suggested to me by a fellow Linux user.
    "no fail" did the trick.

However, I stuck to the mount entries you suggested:

Code:
    192.168.1.30:/volume1/photo /media/Chloe_Photos nfs    _netdev,nofail,timeo=20,intr,async     0    0
    192.168.1.30:/volume1/Archives /media/Chloe_Archives nfs    _netdev,nofail,timeo=20,intr,async  0    0
    I still prefer to switch off my NAS most of the time although I understand your recommendation to leave it on all the time