Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low resolution and guest addition errors

Beans

Re: Low resolution and guest addition errors

I strongly recommend using the version of VirtualBox in the Oracle repository. I've never had problems with that version.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linu...xdistributions
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I strongly recommend using the version of VirtualBox in the Oracle repository. I've never had problems with that version.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linu...xdistributions
    ^^^^^^^ + ^^^^^^^

I totally agree; I would not use any other source for the VBox deb itself or the GA.

VBox gets updated along with all other application updates, and then when you next start VBox it immediately tells you to update the GA; perhaps that's the same with a repo version of VBox but I haven't used that ever.

Beans

I don't see anything such as /sbin/vboxconfig in the Ubuntu host.

I didn't try Centos 8 yet, maybe sometime in the future.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielsender View Post
    I don't see anything such as /sbin/vboxconfig in the Ubuntu host.
    Must be 6.0
    Do a restart in terminal and see if you get a kernel module fail.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/virtualbox restart
    And this is suppose to be another way to reload module.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Beans

There is no problem in restarting, the main issue is that the graphic interface is not set up properly with the GA so I get low resolution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What settings do you have for the graphics in the VM setup? You may find that whatever default has been set when you created the VM is not what is needed.
    Try VBOXVGA for a start and one by one try the others if the first does not work.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 6th, 2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Let me repeat my first post: everything was fine until one of the last round of updates. Now when I right click on the window I only get offered 1024x768 as the maximum resolution, I think I previously had 1440x1080 or something like that. According to the log file, the GA setting is aborted for the graphic interface.

Beans

Purge and reinstall, think I mention this before, but no reply on that.

Personally I think its time for 6.0. LiveGnome did work for me.

Beans

Well, I obeyed and purged 5.2.32 and installed 6.0.12 from the Oracle repository. It seems that I'm going nowhere on the resolution thing, it is the same list of errors. Please see the log file.
    Code:
    Building the main Guest Additions 6.0.12 module for kernel 3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64.
    Building the shared folder support module.
    Building the graphics driver module.
    Error building the module.  Build output follows.
    make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64/build M=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j4 modules
    make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
    test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (        \
    echo >&2;                            \
    echo >&2 "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";        \
    echo >&2 "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
    echo >&2 "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";    \
    echo >&2 ;                            \
    /bin/false)
    mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
    make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.hgsmi_base.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.5/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -std=gnu89 -O2 -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -DRETPOLINE -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I./include/drm -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(hgsmi_base)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_hgsmi_base.o /tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.modesetting.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.5/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -std=gnu89 -O2 -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -DRETPOLINE -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I./include/drm -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(modesetting)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_modesetting.o /tmp/vbox.0/modesetting.c
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vbox_drv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.5/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -std=gnu89 -O2 -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -DRETPOLINE -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I./include/drm -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vbox_drv)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_vbox_drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.c
      gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vbox_fb.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.5/include -I./arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated  -Iinclude -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -Iarch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -Iinclude/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -std=gnu89 -O2 -m64 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern -mindirect-branch-register -DRETPOLINE -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -g -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -I./include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I./include/drm -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_WITHOUT_PRAGMA_ONCE -DRT_ARCH_AMD64  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vbox_fb)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_vbox_fb.o /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_fb.c
    In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_guest.h:34:0,
                     from /tmp/vbox.0/modesetting.c:27:
    /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.h:187:31: error: field 'mem_global_ref' has incomplete type
       struct drm_global_reference mem_global_ref;
                                   ^
    /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.h:188:28: error: field 'bo_global_ref' has incomplete type
       struct ttm_bo_global_ref bo_global_ref;
                                ^
    In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.c:38:0:
    /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.h:187:31: error: field 'mem_global_ref' has incomplete type
                                   ^
                                ^
    In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c:27:0:
                                   ^
                                ^
    In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/vbox_fb.c:46:0:
                                   ^
                                ^
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/modesetting.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/vbox_drv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/vbox_fb.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
    make: *** [vboxvideo] Error 2

Beans

Code:
    error: field 'mem_global_ref' has incomplete type
    I did a bit of searching for this error, and it seems to be happening since late summer. However it may be fixed in the most recent "Test Build": https://www.virtualbox.org/download/...inux_amd64.run

Another suggestion is to try this beta for the Guest Additions: https://download.virtualbox.org/virt....1.0_BETA1.iso. I'd give that a shot before using a test build.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast