Thread: High memory usage with Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Beans

High memory usage with Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Hi! Let me get straight to the question, is it this normal for ubuntu to have such a high memory usage? After a fresh restart my, my ubuntu already have 2.1gb usage and after I open 3 apps (Robo3t, Eclipse and LibreOffice Calc) memory usage goes to 90% on system monitor. Right now as I type all apps are closed yet the memory usage stay at 64%. What could be the cause of this problem? How do I fix it?

Specs:
    Ryzen 5 3550h
    8GB 2666mhz single channel
    1TB Hdd (200GB partitioned for Ubuntu)
    GTX 1650

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; October 2nd, 2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Image Size

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: High memory usage with Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Hello and welcome to the forums.

From the image you posted on Tom's Hardware, Chrome is eating your RAM.

Open a terminal, then install htop with sudo apt install htop. Htop is a terminal version of the system monitor that tends to be a bit more accurate. Something tells me Google Chrome is still running in the background, which I used to see happening regularly back when I used Chrome. You can highlight Chrome in htop or system monitor, then hit F9, then Enter to kill Chrome in htop or right-click Chrome in System Monitor and select to Kill it.

Beans

Beans

Right now as I type all apps are closed yet the memory usage stay at 64%
    That's because a lot of data remains cached. That memory could be freed if really needed. The bottom line is that you shouldn't trust how system monitor reports RAM numbers because it doesn't give you the full story. Use the 'free' command to see detailed stats:
    Code:
    free -m
    https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Beans

I just checked my system, i7-4790, all cores @ 4.4, and cpu is usages is between zero and three percent.
    firefox 1%, xorg 1%, once there is an update check and uses about 2%, web 1%.
    I am running clamscan and it is using 12%.

jtcarlos, have you checked for a virus?
    Last edited by dagmann; October 4th, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dagmann View Post
    I just checked my system, i7-4790, all cores @ 4.4, and cpu is usages is between zero and three percent.
    firefox 1%, xorg 1%, once there is an update check and uses about 2%, web 1%.

jtcarlos, have you checked for a virus?
    You are confusing CPU usage with memory usage. I see no reason to suspect a virus from the info the OP gave. In fact, I don't think the OP has any problems, other than being misled by the way system monitor reports memory usage.