Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JavaScript for system admin scripts

Beans

Re: JavaScript for system admin scripts

Totally got me on the math, I was only saying PHP came out around 95. I don't even recall exactly when I got into coding it. Too long ago.

TheFu you totally missed my point, I've just learned being "language agnostic" just increases my skillset and allows me to evolve. They're just tools. I am always actively looking for new opportunities, and a lot of them are asking for server side JS developers. I mean, a LOT. Which I haven't dug into enough. If I'd have stuck to my guns with Perl, I'd be living in the street today. I don't mind evolving if it pays well enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    TheFu you totally missed my point, I've just learned being "language agnostic" just increases my skillset and allows me to evolve. They're just tools. I am always actively looking for new opportunities, and a lot of them are asking for server side JS developers. I mean, a LOT. Which I haven't dug into enough. If I'd have stuck to my guns with Perl, I'd be living in the street today. I don't mind evolving if it pays well enough.
    Sorry, I was looking at the title of this thread. Figured we were on that topic. My mistake.

There is a shortage of perl developers, BTW.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i did not learn perl. i don't know if i could learn it today. i had difficulties understanding many of the details. and i was turned off by many other like the leading characters of variable names to mean the type.

but i did learn python about 7 years ago. it is very much like one configuration of a language i designed back in the 1980s. it was more like a language matrix where python could fit in. i also learned pike in the interim, which could also fit in, in a different spot, with a few changes (think of python with a C-like syntax)

i did learn javascript but have disliked it because of many limitations. python was the show stopper for me as it fulfilled those limitations.

this blog post from 2017 is interesting reading. it shows stunning growth of python.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans

^^ That's another one I need to work on!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    WHERE? LOL . . . whenever I mention Perl the reaction is mild. I was a freelancer for years when we still had an chance on Elance (now Upworthy, I think.) I encountered a Perl project that blew me away.

Most Perl scripts I see are procedural, maybe with some subs but still largely procedural. This project was a front controller maybe 80 lines long and completely OOP, followed SOLID before it was really a "thing." It was beautiful. It was a unicorn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Sorry, I was looking at the title of this thread. Figured we were on that topic. My mistake.

To be honest, I didn't know perl was still being used heavily. I still use it since it was the first language I learned after: Commodore Basic, 6502 ASM and C.

I started picking up Python since it now has bindings for all things, including Cisco and Ansible. Currently, I am an network engineer; however, I like to roll my own tools at times or play around with some hobby projects.

Yet, I been doing some web front end work in JavaScript and read about Nodes.js and wanted to see what folks had to say about it from a System Side perspective.
    Last edited by jason.jackal; 1 Week Ago at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i did not learn perl. i don't know if i could learn it today. i had difficulties understanding many of the details. and i was turned off by many other like the leading characters of variable names to mean the type.

but i did learn python about 7 years ago. it is very much like one configuration of a language i designed back in the 1980s. it was more like a language matrix where python could fit in. i also learned pike in the interim, which could also fit in, in a different spot, with a few changes (think of python with a C-like syntax)

i did learn javascript but have disliked it because of many limitations. python was the show stopper for me as it fulfilled those limitations.

this blog post from 2017 is interesting reading. it shows stunning growth of python.
    Thank you for the link, it was a great read and very interesting. I never learned Pike; however, back in the 90s (I think) I heard of it. I never really learned Python, since in the early 90s I learned Perl. Perl did everything and anything for me coming from a C university background, and much easier. I never did programming professionally, after I learned Cisco and Juniper networking. However, a good scripting language was needed, and perl came to the rescue.

Now days, everything has an API or you can install with PIP. Funny, perl had cpan for a number of years and you could use libraries or packages from installing. So it is a pain to see perl get dropped by the way side; however, maybe if Google hired the maker of Perl oppose to Python.... maybe it will be a different story. Either way... Python is the future until Go can rule the world... "EH... HEE HEE HEE!!!". Would love to see more GO API for things.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro

one thing i don't like about GO is having to also mush the shift key for every assignment i type in.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro

i understand that an entire web page can be constructed by javascript code filling in the document object model. i also understand that javascript has a full suite of network access, at least for UDP and TCP. my current thought is to build something like a forum with a javascript front end and a python back end, loading the javascript just once, starting with a small static web page, and going extreme dynamic from there. the front end connects to the back end and exchanges data in JSON format. javascript will be the UI and python will be the API. anyone can plug in their own UI by just making a page anywhere that loads their own javascript (maybe just a hack of the original). the back end won't need to deal with any UI, at all. the front end won't need to deal with any database access since the whole FE<->BE interface is just JSON over TCP (with SSL in there).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i understand that an entire web page can be constructed by javascript code filling in the document object model. i also understand that javascript has a full suite of network access, at least for UDP and TCP. my current thought is to build something like a forum with a javascript front end and a python back end, loading the javascript just once, starting with a small static web page, and going extreme dynamic from there. the front end connects to the back end and exchanges data in JSON format. javascript will be the UI and python will be the API. anyone can plug in their own UI by just making a page anywhere that loads their own javascript (maybe just a hack of the original). the back end won't need to deal with any UI, at all. the front end won't need to deal with any database access since the whole FE<->BE interface is just JSON over TCP (with SSL in there).
    Never trust any client-side input data. Always re-re-scrub it for allowed values.

A website that uses javascript on the front end and Python on the back end is called a webapp. Extremely common. Check out Flask for the toolkit, unless you want to do it the hard way. A bunch of guys in my LUG was learning the Flask framework.
    If you are into Perl5 webapps, Dancer2, Mojolicious, and Catalyst are the most common. Dancer is the easiest. I've written about 20 Dancer webapps. It has lots and lots of dependencies, so plan for 1-2 hours in metacpan for those to download, get tested and installed. Mojolicious is a practical framework with very few limitations and some rough edges. Catalyst can handle anything, but it is complicated. People say it takes 6 months to understand the local implementation for any Catalyst webapp. Amazon was (is?) a Catalyst webapp for years. With Dancer, you can create a single DB table CRUD webapp in about 5 lines of code. Plackup/PSGI can handle horizontal scaling to almost any level needed. It is crazy fast. Be certain to use perlbrew for environment management.

But webapps really don't have anything to do with administrative scripting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12