Thread: distinguishing interactive bash from script bash in ps

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

distinguishing interactive bash from script bash in ps

i still use bash for many scripts as well as many interactive shell sessions. i want to be able to terminate all the interactive shells or all the script shells for a particular user, but not both. "killall /bin/bash" would do both. i'd like to know the best way to list bash processes in ps that can be filtered to one type or the other.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: distinguishing interactive bash from script bash in ps

Use a PID file for a each "program". Be certain to trap signals so the PID file gets cleaned up regardless of how the process ends. https://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginn...l/chap_12.html
    Professional programs should always clean up their temp files regardless of how they finish, even if killed.

You can use the PID file to know the process and kill them using the PID.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 1st, 2019 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

yes, in the case of killing a script that has temporary file, it should clean them up on the appropriate signals. but my issue is determining which processes to kill and which processes to not kill, depending on which set i want killed. the scripts might be called killallbashscripts and killallbashsessions. the latter one will also check to see if it is running under one and kill it last, or try to ignore SIGHUP.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Code:
    ps -a -C bash -o pid,args --no-headers
    will output all process with 'bash' somewhere in the command. A bash executing a script has the name of the script file as one of its arguments.

Holger

Beans

You could use a different Group ID using the program 'sg' to launch the script. Then you can manage the programs based on their group IDs

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Code:
    ps -a -C bash -o pid,args --no-headers
    will output all process with 'bash' somewhere in the command. A bash executing a script has the name of the script file as one of its arguments.

Holger
    so, i just need to see if a script name is there, or not.