Thread: Extremely slow wifi: software or hardware issue?

Beans

Extremely slow wifi: software or hardware issue?

I have a HP250 laptop running Kubuntu 18.4 on it.
    The laptop is about 5 yo, always running different version of Kubuntu and the wifi has always worked properly.
    Since several weeks the wifi connection has become extremely slow. Most of the time it is impossible to charge any webpage (or download email etc). About every 5 minutes I get a few seconds of working connection and I can download and upload quite easily, until the connection goes back to useless again. This happens with all the wifi connections (at home, at work, in hotels etc)
    A few things to be noted
    - Ethernet connection works fine
    - I feel like the wifi works better when, instead than connecting to the normal wifi networks, I connect to my phone mobile connection via tethering. I do not know if this makes any sense but I really feel the difference.
    - I tried to use a live version of Kubuntu to understand if reinstalling the OS could have solved the issue. I only tried it for a few minutes, but the wifi connection seemed to be as slow and unreliable as always, so I have abandoned (so far) the idea of reinstalling the OS.
    - Some weeks ago I had my laptop's back cover and hinges substituted, because they were in bad condition. I am not sure, but I wonder if this intervention could have damaged the wifi reception tool.

What do you think? Can you help me to understand if this is a software issue (and, in case, how I can solve it) or a hardware issue?

wireless-info.tar.gz

Thank you
    Last edited by morgenstern2; September 30th, 2019 at 04:34 PM.