Thread: Ubuntu: pretty darn good

Beans

Ubuntu: pretty darn good

Just wanted to quickly mention that Ubuntu is pretty great.

Last year, I returned to using linux after a few years of using Win10. Before that, I twas going using only ubuntu in 2007-2015. After ditching Win10 I distrohopped for quite some time between Mint, Manjaro, OpenSuse, Elementary and briefly PopOS and Fedora. They were all awesome. Finally, I decided to check out what Ubuntu was like, and you know what: it was awesome as well. The default one as well as MATE.

Now I'm back to using just Ubuntu (I did install vanilla gnome on it), because it gets me everything I need (some packages I need are only available on Ubuntu and derivatives) and gets out of my way. Gnome desktop seems to make a lot of sense.

I just wanted to put this out here, as I see a lot of critical posts in these forums. That is of course totally understandable, as people with problems with their OS are more likely to mention it than people without.

So, thank you to all the people who make this distro possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu: pretty darn good

why did you ditch windows 10? just curious. i hardly notice it (enterprise edition) on my work laptop (no issues, no crashes, no problems, no perfomance issues...). and this is how i want the OS to be. working hard in the background and not bothering me.

on the other hand i have to say Kubuntu 18.04 also performs quite good my old box. however, i have a feeling it won't last long. and also it is not as good as windows XP (on the other disk). it is faster, more responsive, faster to boot. but it also has (for now smaller) drivers issues, smaller desktop issues... or maybe it is all connected to nvidia drivers. in any case not as fluent.

otherwise yes it is quite good. still many stuff left to be resolved as far as desktop version is concerned. for office work it is a really good substitute for windows 10. but games or anything that requires good hardware drivers (GPU, sound...) it is still a bit problematic. either support gets dropped randomly, or it doesn't work from the start. many old games work fine though. and desktops are really good. you can find what you like and run with it. Ubutnu also has 5 years support. i wish Kubuntu had it as well.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

I mainly ditched Win10 because of the updates. That may seem like a minor thing, but it rebooted on me while I was working once too often. I still have that on my work laptop, and I get more upset than is good for me when that happens.
    And the most important software to me, darktable, is more refined on linux.
    Other things were more minor, but I just felt like I was working for the computer, instead of making it work like I wanted.

If I had to work with win10, I could, perhaps I could even get used to the updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I agree with you @pekkatee, Ubuntu is pretty great.

Ok GNOME isn't my cup-of-tea, so I'm usually using other desktops (mostly LXQt/Lubuntu, second XFCE/Xubuntu) but if I do need a change, I could always logout, log back in and use GNOME (or MATE as it's installed too). I love the choice we have, the control, flexibility to configure....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 19.04 and 19.10 are good and I use them as Host OSes for Virtualbox. I use the minimal install, because I do my work in VMs. It is great how it deals with switching workspaces, each containing a full screen VM. Each VM on its own workspace. I use Ubuntu 19.10 on my laptop and Ubuntu 19.04 on my daily driver the desktop, because I'm waiting for Virtualbox to support Linux 5.3.
    I use the following VMs daily:

- Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS for office work, email, torrents and WhatsApp.
    - Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS exclusively for banking and PayPal.
    - Windows XP Home for my music (copies from my CDs and LPs) with WoW and TrueBass effects
    - Ubuntu Mate 19.04 for try-outs
    - Windows 10 for the Dutch TV viewer of BVN. The viewer only supports Windows.

Xubuntu is loaded all the time, while the others are booted when needed.
    I also have installed: Ubuntu 19.10, Xubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu Mate 19.10, Linux Mint 19.2, Peppermint 10, Windows 7, Android 8, FreeBSD 12 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 . In addition I have VM archives with almost all Windows Releases, all Ubuntu LTS release since 2004 and many other popular Linux distros (1-3 releases/distro).
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:34 PM.

Beans

As others 10.04 was my last Ubuntu install. But now with 18.04 if find myself really liking the Gnome Desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by pekkatee View Post
    If I had to work with win10, I could, perhaps I could even get used to the updates.
    it seems most people are annoyed with them.

in enterprise edition, the company's IT is handling them. so we would get a notifications that they are ready for download. then we can postpone the download for about a week. i would postpone it until lunch time. they are only security fixes (mostly). and each version has a lot longer before it upgrades (10 years being the longest option i think). upgrades take longer and are more evasive.

still i hate the length of updates, but then again, i am paid for the time when computer is updating. and they are only once a month. so far the only issue i ran into was when office 365 auto updated, but our ERP (SAP) was left at a really old version. after some testing with IT ( i was volunteer tester, since i had to urgently prepare a sales report) we found out that new SAP version resolves the issue. so they pushed upgrades to everyone and all is working fine now.

still the hardware support in windows is really good. and so far no issues there. but then again my work laptop works nicely with Ubuntu as well. these business laptops usually do have good linux support.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    I use Ubuntu 19.10 on my laptop and Ubuntu 19.04 on my daily driver the desktop, because I'm waiting for Virtualbox to support Linux 5.3.
    I didn't know VirtualBox wasn't supposed to run on kernel 5.3; probably a good thing because it works for me on my 19.10

Code:
    Kernel: 5.3.0-13-generic  (19.10)
    and running the standard
    Code:
    virtualbox:
      Installed: 6.0.12-dfsg-1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You are lucky, the upgrade from 19.04 to 19.10 disabled Virtualbox and a re-install failed too on my Ryzen 3 2200G. There is an existing bug report for Virtualbox and Linux 5.3.

Beans

Yes, so much progress has been made. When I first installed Ubuntu a decade ago, I had to install the wifi driver and run a bunch of my custom configuration scripts to get the trackpad and screen working.
    Today, everything just works out of the box. Great job on making it so easy.