Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

Beans

Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

I haven't tried it since Bionic and I must say it looks really good. I think the issues with Nautilus have been fixed. The only thing I noticed was that the "Main Menu" applet (once added to the panel) looks a bit small compared to the other applets but that's really nit picking.

I need to see if battery/charge "time" is displayed properly in a default session when I do the next fresh install because I didn't notice it wasn't displayed until I'd switched to gnome-panel. Again a very minor issue because "time to charge" and "time remaining" is a poor estimate anyway because it varies so greatly depending on load.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

This is a screenshot of a fully updated Eoan, with "Dash to panel" on an Asus X202E.
    Display 11.6" 16:9 HD (1366*768) LED.
    The estimated battery time is very optimistic.

Edit: The battery estimate is quite OK. Just before the picture was taken the battery estimate was 9 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P-I H; September 28th, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

Beans

Just curious, how much ram are you using with Classic compared to regular Gnome?

Beans

I have a gnome session installed
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/gnome
    that is now fully loaded with everything I wanted and upon startup shows:
    Code:
    $ free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          7927        1580        5459          88         886        6017
    Swap:         2047           0        2047

Beans

Battery time remaining/time to charge is working perfectly today. Maybe I just needed a reboot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    This is a screenshot of a fully updated Eoan, with "Dash to panel" on an Asus X202E.
    Display 11.6" 16:9 HD (1366*768) LED.
    The estimated battery time is very optimistic.

Edit: The battery estimate is quite OK. Just before the picture was taken the battery estimate was 9 hours.
    Yes, I just meant the word "estimate" should be taken as exactly that - an estimate! Like if the screensaver has been running and I then "wake it up" the initial estimate will look quite impressive but if I wait just a few minutes for that to "refresh" it will drop dramatically. I just added time and percentage because I'm testing a new battery. Usually just the "widget/icon" will suffice.

Beans
    Distro

Gnome session

Code:
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           7961        1326        5556          85        1078        6300
    Swap:          1907           0        1907
    Last edited by slickymaster; October 1st, 2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: code tags

Beans

That's not bad memory use, though I thought it might be a bit less in flashback. I usually check from a fresh boot, launch neofetch in terminal to get a reading with nothing else open on the desktop. If a browser is open it will skew your result badly.

Beans

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 with Plex server. Decided I try Flashback to see if it would save on ram use. Ubuntu default is about 1200 mb ram at boot launching neofetch. With Flashback it is 652 mb ram at boot launching neofetch to get the number. So definitely a ram saving. Not sure if compositor can be turned off to save even more ram on Fallback, but that's pretty good.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

I recently upgraded from 19.04 to 19.10 beta. Some comments to your points.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I haven't tried it since Bionic and I must say it looks really good. I think the issues with Nautilus have been fixed.
    I saw one thread of yours about opening File System from Places. I cannot see that fixed in Eoan beta. Is it working in your installation?
    Under the same context: do you have Desktop icons with 19.10 and nautilus?

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    The only thing I noticed was that the "Main Menu" applet (once added to the panel) looks a bit small compared to the other applets but that's really nit picking. ...
    I have problems switching from one DE to the other messing the icons completely. I have to restart in order to see proper flashback gnome panel compiz icons as they are supposed to be.

Regards!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast