Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,652

    Re: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

    I recently upgraded from 19.04 to 19.10 beta. Some comments to your points.



    I saw one thread of yours about opening File System from Places. I cannot see that fixed in Eoan beta. Is it working in your installation?
    Under the same context: do you have Desktop icons with 19.10 and nautilus?



    I have problems switching from one DE to the other messing the icons completely. I have to restart in order to see proper flashback gnome panel compiz icons as they are supposed to be.

    Regards!
    Yep, upon closer look the places menu > Computer button is kind of useless:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1743686

    As I said in that bug report I think the most sensible "fix" is to remove the Computer button altogether because it's just not needed. Just go Home > Other locations .............

    I don't think the flashback team provides any support at all for Compiz?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,652

    Re: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

    Oh, and NO on desktop icons. It seems like some things changed in GNOME itself making that not possible, or at least i can't find a path in dconf at all. Also right click on desktop does nothing which is not a big deal I guess.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    10,461
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

    Some references on Desktop Icons and nautilus:
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/files...bility/3115/12
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/no-de...-in-19-04/9295
    Unity and budgie run the same problem as flashback.
    Not sure about budgie, but unity just decided to have nemo handle the desktop and use nautilus solely as the Files program.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    1,494
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Flashback session (gnome-panel) looking exceptionally good.

    Hello,

    thank you for your responses, just to add a couple of comments/ideas where I can.

    Today with the latest updates in gnome shell it seems that Gnome Classic got rid of the login loop and switching between that and flashback things seem to be ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    That's not bad memory use, though I thought it might be a bit less in flashback. I usually check from a fresh boot, launch neofetch in terminal to get a reading with nothing else open on the desktop. If a browser is open it will skew your result badly.
    my results thus far are (gnome panel flashback):
    Code:
    free -m
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           7880         594        5841          90        1443        6929
    Swap:          2047           0        2047
    from system monitor I get ~1GiB, whereas for classic ~1.2Gib. With Disco it was 1.1Gib for flashback, so there is an improvement.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Yep, upon closer look the places menu > Computer button is kind of useless:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1743686

    As I said in that bug report I think the most sensible "fix" is to remove the Computer button altogether because it's just not needed. Just go Home > Other locations .............

    I don't think the flashback team provides any support at all for Compiz?
    I do not know, yet the Developers themselves could shed some light:
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback
    I have to admit that I was not using that way to access Computer, yet I checked it while you mentioned about some bugs you had come accross.

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Oh, and NO on desktop icons. It seems like some things changed in GNOME itself making that not possible, or at least i can't find a path in dconf at all. Also right click on desktop does nothing which is not a big deal I guess.
    For Desktop icons under dconf I get the following, among others, when I type 'desktop':
    org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true

    yet it does not seem to affect anything (true or false). I have exactly the same behavior meaning no Desktop icons and no right click on Desktop.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Some references on Desktop Icons and nautilus:
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/files...bility/3115/12
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/no-de...-in-19-04/9295
    Unity and budgie run the same problem as flashback.
    Not sure about budgie, but unity just decided to have nemo handle the desktop and use nautilus solely as the Files program.
    I thought that there might be something different with 19.10 since from the response I got back in 19.04 and the following link:
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-flashback/issues/7
    it seemed that sooner or later flashback might solve the issue on its own. I asked, since I had some minor issues during the upgrade and I though that this might have affected that behavior.

    Concerning battery I have to say that it lasts much less than it used to and the percentage remaining seems to be out of regular order at the time being (it shows less than it used to and it lasts also less). Yet, there are more restarts at that time because of the upgrades so it needs time so as for regular use to take place and for safe comments on that matter.

    My most serious problem with the upgrade is the touchpad. I was using fusuma and it seems that every time I do the upgrades touchpad is not working as it should and more restarts are required. I'm waiting for the final release so as to have a say on that.

    Regards!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •