Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heping instaling drivers on an old computer

Beans

Unhappy Heping instaling drivers on an old computer

Hello,

This is my first post, I'm new on Linux.

I've found an old PC which is working, it's an AsRock775i65GG with a ViewSonic Monitor VA703b and I installed Lubuntu on it but the problem is after the installation seems like the drivers are nor installed because I cannot select the correct resolution (1280 x 1024) and I have that horrible vertical black line on right side of the monitor.

I've tried creating a xorg.conf file in order to add the correct resolution and "it works". I keep having the same problem with the black line and all looks horrible. Here is a picture:

qWx3uKS.jpg

So I think a need to manually install the drivers and make sure the system is using them. The problems are: I don't know what drivers do I have to install, how do I install them and how do I make sure the system is using them?

Do not be afraid to explain me the things like a child. I'm new and I'm willing to learn.

Thanks!
    Last edited by slickymaster; September 27th, 2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: removed large image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Heping instaling drivers on an old computer

Please do not post large images into your posts. Many of our users have slow internet connections and data limits. Large images can take a long time to load -- and may even cost a user extra money. Use the attachment functionality provided by the paperclip button above the text entry box.

Beans

Hello and welcome.

I've found that some monitors have a button to adjust the incoming image to fit the screen, which resolves the black line down the side.

For drivers, you should be able to open Software Sources, then click the Additional Drivers tab, then select a graphics driver.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Hello and welcome.

I've found that some monitors have a button to adjust the incoming image to fit the screen, which resolves the black line down the side.

For drivers, you should be able to open Software Sources, then click the Additional Drivers tab, then select a graphics driver.
    Hi,

I've tried adjusting the image with the buttons located on the monitor and doesn't work.

And there's nothing on the addiotional drivers section. It's greyed out.
    Last edited by miguelrbls; September 27th, 2019 at 05:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Please do not post large images into your posts. Many of our users have slow internet connections and data limits. Large images can take a long time to load -- and may even cost a user extra money. Use the attachment functionality provided by the paperclip button above the text entry box.
    Oh, sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We'd need to see
    Code:
    xrandr -q
    lspci | grep VGA
    for starters.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Just to let you know a couple of things; first both the PC and the monitor are quite old (for a computer) - they both look to be about 2003 vintage. I'm even kind of surprised that Lubuntu supports them at all; the PC uses the outdated AGP video bus and the monitor uses an old VGA cable to connect - nothing high definition there. Second, the issue isn't a "driver" as you suppose. The issue is that the current driver doesn't recognize the proper resolution the monitor needs. To fix this, you will need to manually insert the proper resolution into the file that holds the supported resolution. You do this by using the application LXTerminal (Menu>System Tools>LXTerminal), finding the proper file, and typing the needed resolution into the file. Here is an example to do that from a couple of years ago: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...buntu-desktop/ If you are familiar with Windows, this is kind of like using DOS to modify configuration files.

Honestly, it might be easier all around to try a different Operating System designed specifically for older computers. The one I've had the best success with is called 'antiX'. Here is the website about it: https://antixlinux.com/. This is a Debian-based OS (like Ubuntu is) optimized for older PC's. it should have most of the bugs you are dealing with worked out already. If that is not to your taste, Distrowatch.com lists a number of OS's specifically for older computers. Best of luck!
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

@deadflwr - I'm not trying to step on your toes; you posted before I could finish typing. Best of luck!
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 with uRock: that appears to be an issue with the monitor not centering the image. Check your buttons again. There is a slight possibility that it could also be your VGA cable: try another known-good one. Lastly, you could have a failed/failing monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you first enter the onscreen menu, AUTO ADJUST should be the top choice. Choosing that should get you aligned. If not, going down the menu is the MANUAL ADJUST wher you can do the same thing manually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast