Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I completely avoid Google ?

Beans
    Hidden!

How do I completely avoid Google ?

I have 92 accounts of various forums and I used Gmail as the registration email address.

I have removed all traces of Google from my browser and using https://www.startpage.com/

instead. All is fine but now.

Q1) Which email service should I use instead of Gmail ?

Q2) Any tips about how to change registration email of 92 accounts ?
    MANJARO KDE
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I completely avoid Google ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Hi,

can't answer Q2 but for Q1 take a look here:
    https://www.privacytools.io/providers/email/
    Thanks for that link but I have to find a way to change those accounts.
    MANJARO KDE
    Ram 4GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use Startpage and it's OK although doesn't have the resources that Google does, I guess that's the price you pay to have the privacy Startpage claim's to give.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I use Startpage and it's OK although doesn't have the resources that Google does, I guess that's the price you pay to have the privacy Startpage claim's to give.
    One thing that I have noticed is the auto complete / suggestions are a bit lacking.

I am satisfied with the results though.
    MANJARO KDE
    Ram 4GB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have hundreds of different email aliases and accounts.
    What is the purpose of each email address? That depends. Different, unique, accounts are used for any account that is connected in any way to money. I couldn't tell you the email account used for my brokerage accounts. It is long, random. My login userid for each broker is long and random too.
    I have 6 different bank accounts specifically not tied together and not at the same banks. Most are for different businesses, which is why they aren't at the same banks. Each has a different, long, random, email address.
    I have some general purpose accounts for places like here which are used at about 10 unimportant sites. They are xxxx222, xxxx333, xxxx4444, ... you get the idea.
    For dealings with my Govt, I use gmail. Don't want to seem too odd. I have a few different gmail accounts, but these are never used from the same Linux login. They are separate. One and only 1 is tied to my real name. It is not tied to Android in anyway.
    I have a few other accounts which I strive to keep anonymous. I've never, ever, accessed them without either TOR or a VPN exit node in another country. I use these to pay for services using gift cards - like a VPN provider.

If you want to stop using google, get a list of google IP networks and setup firewall rules which block them. ALL OF THEM. Also, setup DNS based blocks - there are probably over 1,000 necessary.
    Stop emailing anyone with a gmail address and you'll probably want to check every domain for an MX record that points to gmail/google as well. Something like pi-hole will help at home with this, but whenever your devices are outside the home network, these blocks wouldn't be active.

Be certain to block google's DNS servers too. DNS is an easy way they can track devices even for non-google and non-google Analytics and non-Google advertising locations.

Never forget that lots of webmasters will be providing google with data, without asking you. Google-analytics is really easy to deploy and provides the webmaster lots of information, while also providing google all that same information (and more). Selling out their visitors is easy. Setting up your own analytics isn't nearly as easy.

I don't do everything above. Even for me, it is too hard. Some family and some friends have decided to use gmail and google stuff for all sorts of things. They are unhappy that I refuse to tweet or use facebook and insta-whatver and whatsapp already. Cutting them off at gmail was just too much for them. They see me like that auto mechanic who thinks anyone running Mobile1 oil is stupid, since Amsoil and Castroil are clearly so much better.

It just isn't important to them, when they have 20 other non-computer details daily in their lives to handle.

How do you move a bunch of email settings in other websites off gmail? 1 account at a time. Get a password manager, KeepassXC perhaps, and start using it. Do 10-20 accounts a day and in a few months, you'll have them all switched over. In the time I spent writing this, I bet 20 accounts could have been changed.

Since I run email servers, having lots and lots of accounts/aliases is really easy. That isn't so easy for most people. Let's think about the minimal number of different email accounts needed.
    • Family
    • Work
    • Social media
    • online shopping - primary retailer (AMZ?)
    • online shopping - general (everyone except the primary)
    • Banking
    • Brokerage
    • Spamming/forums

Then be certain to use the name+site@example.com capabilities that most email providers support.
    Never mix the money-connected things. Each is a risk. If the same email address is used for a bank that is used for some random other retailer, when that retailer gets hacked, they now have half of your banking credentials.

Oh ... and any sites which force password reset questions or extra login questions - be certain to answer with gibberish, never the truth. Keep the lies for those answers inside your password manager.
    Mother's Maiden Name: eb6f46f1ef03db46f20e4bfa530796aebc5b5
    High School Mascot: 9eadbcd7ec16f4e5961ad2035c0228de7c2
    Password managers should be able to create better random answers.

Guess those attackers.

And definitely use 2FA whenever it is supported with a hardware key solution. Avoid the smartphone 2FA methods.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    One thing that I have noticed is the auto complete / suggestions are a bit lacking.

I am satisfied with the results though.
    I've no complaints.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

And be certain to login to each email address at least once every 3 months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    ... and any sites which force password reset questions or extra login questions - be certain to answer with gibberish, never the truth. Keep the lies for those answers inside your password manager.
    Mother's Maiden Name: eb6f46f1ef03db46f20e4bfa530796aebc5b5
    High School Mascot: 9eadbcd7ec16f4e5961ad2035c0228de7c2
    Password managers should be able to create better random answers.
    This is brilliant and not something I had realized before. Thank you, sir. You've made a whole day's worth of browsing worthwhile.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    This is brilliant and not something I had realized before. Thank you, sir. You've made a whole day's worth of browsing worthwhile.
    Password managers are useful for all sorts of things. https://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/03/25/10...ssword-manager I have a scan of my current passport stored inside my password manager, for example. It isn't just for passwords.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast