Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I completely avoid Google ?

Beans

Re: How do I completely avoid Google ?

@TheFu
    Thanks for this too.
    I do not keep my most sensitive passwords on my computer, but in my desk drawer. Time to rethink this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    @TheFu
    Thanks for this too.
    I do not keep my most sensitive passwords on my computer, but in my desk drawer. Time to rethink this.
    Glad it is helping someone.

NEVER write down the entire password. Treat the parts written down better than you treat credit cards. Don't leave them on a sticky note.

laptop: {something you know}+d2035T T%0228de7c2
    desktop: {something you know}+d7ec16 f4e5KP@#961

Just make certain that the "something you know" doesn't have a clear pattern, if 2 passwords get cracked, it isn't the same and it is also sufficiently long. At least 20 characters, total length.

Logins that aren't for devices you sit behind or hold in your hands, should be in the password manager, as long a allowed, as complex as allowed and using some sort of U2F or other 2FA that isn't tied to a cell phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the "something you know" part can be a long wordy phrase you can remember, such as words from a song, quotes from the bible, etc. then take the 2nd letter of each word. then add the gibberish to it.

people wonder how i can remember the 35 characters for my disk encryption password.

take the host names of various google services and plug in an address of 127.0.0.1 or 10.20.30.40 or 44.44.44.44 for them, or some such non-broadcast address that won't go anywhere. be sure to include their DNS servers ... ns1.google.com, ns2.google.com, ns3.google.com, and ns4.google.com.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12