Thread: can we ban this word from new users?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

can we ban this word from new users?

is there a means to apply a word ban on users with fewer than N good (gotten a reply) posts? there are a few words i am sure we need to ban.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Re: can we ban this word from new users?

If you can't post the words then they must already be banned

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

An interesting suggestion, but why would you want to ban certain words from people with low post counts, but not from those with more?

A couple of things about the vbulletin software. There is a censorship function. We have a list of words - the usual obscenities are amongst them - which if used by a poster, the software substitutes asterisks. It's a blunt instrument with no fine tuning possible, and is applied to all members, whatever their forum "rank".

There is already a special usergroup for those with fewer than 10 posts in support areas - you can read about it here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393

It was set up originally to deal with the problem of profile spam. Spammers create accounts, but do not post anything, instead depositing their spam links in their profiles. It was a huge problem - hence the special usergroup. It doesn't deter the usual type of spammer, but has been effective in helping prevent profile spam. Since the usergroup exists, we could in theory use that to limit privileges to those with fewer than 10 posts in support areas, but I'm not sure that's something we should do readily, at least without considered debate, and we might be constrained by the limitations of the forum software.

What sort of words are you thinking need a ban? Profanities? Or something else?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    What sort of words are you thinking need a ban? Profanities? Or something else?
    words spammers use often, like the latest spammer that used the 3-letter B word. if a post fails, the response should explain what word needs to be removed and they can try again. but their post count does not go up until they succeed.

i know the mods are removing spam, here, and i thank them for that. but spam still floods the Activity Stream, which is already awash with tug-of-war.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    words spammers use often, like the latest spammer that used the 3-letter B word.
    The forum staff are as mystified as I as to what this 3-letter word starting with B used by spammers could be. By chance, do you mean "buy"?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

yes, that word. there are a few other multi-word combinations i see (on the activity stream) spammers, here, use a lot (like "cbd oil"). i just don't see certain words as essential for new users to ask for their help. i can understand sometimes they can like "i went to buy a new computer" and "where can i buy a dvd with ubuntu?". the page they get back should be clear and suggest a random number to edit in its place to get the word, like "your post was denied because it has the word buy in it. you can still post by putting the random code 7320508075688772 in your post". or use a defaced image. for regular users (over N good posts) and those not using these words, they never get that. of, course, if no one is available to hack (and test) to forum code (not me, i don't know PHP), then this can't be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you refresh the activity page instead of clicking on New Activity after we have removed the spam you will no longer be able to see it. As for doing what you suggest I am going to leave that for coffeecat or another Admin to address.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@Skaperen --

If you have the time to create the AI capable of such fine distinctions in written human language; somehow train the AI to understand when specific users should and should not be able to use certain words or phrases; and can make that work with VBulliten, you have our leave to do so. You will have to submit your work to Canonical, Ltd. None of us here, not even all-volunteer Staff (read: we are not paid), are employees of Canonical and would have no say in whether your work will be accepted and we certainly would not be the ones to implement it.

Until you have made such an effort successfully, we will have to make do with the functionality we are provided by VB and Canonical -- the list of forbidden words. We have a further tool in the form of the community members who report spam and inappropriate posts. Between the two, we do a fairly good job.

Bottom line: While we thank you for your concern, we will be making no changes. There is no further need for input to this thread.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

so the short answer to my original question is "no", that's all i really needed to know.