Thread: IDEs: a little comparison on several ones - for working with MicroPython

Beans

IDEs: a little comparison on several ones - for working with MicroPython

hello dear friends,

i currently try to find out which IDE is best for me.... and for a special task.
    I've used VS Code in combination with the PlatformIO for programming the ESP32 and the ESP8266, (i like it more than say for example the Arduino IDE). For the heavier weight IDE I still prefer PyCharm with all the great features for Python-Coding. Well some days ago i have installed Thonny: Thonny has been really good for making some minor changes on the ESP8266 stuff. All right, some might say that it's not as feature rich as PyCharm, but we can use it for some small projects.

now i want to test uPyCraft IDE - in order to work with MicroPython on ESP 32 and 8266 :: i want to share this with others and yes i want to discuss your experience with this IDE. Which experience did you have with this. Did you ever use this!? Well in my experience uPyCraft is a wonderful piece of software and makes using Micropython on esp32 and esp8266 boards a breeze. There are different firmwares that we can use to program the ESP32 Development board and ESP8266 ESP-12E module. uPyCraft IDE runs in any major operating system.

Here in this thread i share a little step-to-step-install-instruction for all of you who did not use this ide untill now:

step1: Before i am going to install the uPyCraft IDE, we sure have to have Python 3.X installed - on the machine.
    just run this command to install Python 3 and pip:

Code:
    $ sudo apt install python3 python3-pip

well Installing uPyCraft IDE on Linux - this is just a pretty easy and straightforward thing.

What is aimed: uPyCraft IDE i want to use to program the ESP32 or the ESP8266 boards using the MicroPython firmware.
    In my opinion, we have many many IDE out there - but a few one are pretty worth to look at: And among those i find uPyCraft IDE as one that is a pretty easy way of programming ESP based boards with MicroPython,

the installation-process:
    first step: Download uPyCraft IDE for Linux Ubuntu
    go and download uPyCraft IDE for Linux Ubuntu - go to this link: http://docs.dfrobot.com/upycraft/2.1...-uPyCraft.html

then we have to open our Terminal and go to the downloads folder and list all the files that reside there:

Code:
    $ cd Downloads
    $ ls -l
    uPyCraft_linux_V1.X

with this final step we ought to have a pretty similar file (uPyCraft_linux_V1.X) in our downloads folder on our machine. Now we go ahead. now we re making sure that we make that file executable with the following command:

Code:
    $ chmod +x uPyCraft_linux_V1.X

finally we re going ahead and open/run the uPyCraft IDE

Code:
    $ ./uPyCraft_linux_V1.X

well - which expericend did you make with the above mentioned IDEs !?

love to hear from you
    Last edited by dilbert_one; September 26th, 2019 at 06:13 PM.

Beans

Re: IDEs: a little comparison on several ones - for working with MicroPython

hi there

finally installed the ide and now it is running

downloaded the firmware for micropython from the micropython site.

tried to flash it - bit this is not possible. see the images that i have attached...

well - run on MX-Linux - but at the moment i have not glue what is going on here...

love to hear from you
    Attached Images Attached Images