Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with 18.04 LTS and nVidia 340.107 driver

Beans

Trouble with 18.04 LTS and nVidia 340.107 driver

I worked with 14.04 LTS for years. Now I need 18.04 for some serious reasons. I upgraded 14.04 to 16.04 LTS without problems. In 16.04 all worked well. Then I upgraded 16.04 to 18.04 LTS with the same way. I have lost high-resolution GUI. From this step I can only use 640x380 screen. The 14.04 used driver nvidia-304 which 18.04 did not load. I removed this driver. After commands apt-get update and then upgrade and reboot it proposed install needed driver. In selection list there were only two options available - currently used nouveau and nvidia-340. I selected nvidia-340 and installed it. This driver is latest for used video adapter GeForce 8500 GT 512. After reboot I get error message - Plasma cannot use OpenGL. In GUI mode I can use only console. Graphics screen is black. All glx utilities fail with same message:

:~$ glxgears
    X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
    Value in failed request: 0x0
    Serial number of failed request: 23
    Current serial number in output stream: 24
    Please help!
    Last edited by Gourmand; September 26th, 2019 at 04:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Trouble with 18.04 LTS and nVidia 340.107 driver

Try running the command
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    then rebooting. Any better?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Try running the command
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    then rebooting. Any better?
    Nope.

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

Package xorg-server was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-server.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'xorg-server' found
    New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    :~$ sudo find / -name "xorg-server.pc"
    :~$
    Who made this distribution?...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Upgrading from one release to another often causes problems like this. And you updated 2 releases. I would download 18.04 and make a bootable DVD or thumb drive. Boot your machine from that and see if the graphics work. You just may find that the nouveau driver is your best choice.

Beans

Are you sure you're not booting into a kernel from 16.04?

You just may find that the nouveau driver is your best choice.
    Yeah, nouveau ran really well on an 8400GS I had.

Beans

Last time I checked the nouveau driver does not support hardware acceleration of H.264-encoded content. With contemporary fast CPUs that's less of an issue than it once was.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Last time I checked the nouveau driver does not support hardware acceleration of H.264-encoded content. With contemporary fast CPUs that's less of an issue than it once was.
    I do not need h.264 acceleration. This is software development workstation. I need only Qt 5.12/13 working on it. But when nouveau used I cannot select any other resolution except 640x380.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Upgrading from one release to another often causes problems like this. And you updated 2 releases. I would download 18.04 and make a bootable DVD or thumb drive. Boot your machine from that and see if the graphics work. You just may find that the nouveau driver is your best choice.
    This could be an idea if there is no any other choice. I have got free USB stick for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand View Post
    The 14.04 used driver nvidia-304 which 18.04 did not load. I removed this driver... In selection list there were only two options available - currently used nouveau and nvidia-340. I selected nvidia-340 and installed it. This driver is latest for used video adapter GeForce 8500 GT 512. After reboot I get error message
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmand View Post
    I do not need h.264 acceleration. This is software development workstation. I need only Qt 5.12/13 working on it. But when nouveau used I cannot select any other resolution except 640x380.
    You need to decide which driver you want to use.

If you want to use nouveau, you'll need to help it out with the details of your monitor. Nouveau is not as good as the proprietary driver at gleaning that information from the monitor's EDID, so you'll need to put your monitor information in xorg.conf.

The proprietary nvidia driver is unable to upgrade cleanly from one branch to another. You need to completely purge the old branch before the installation of another branch will work. In this case it seems that you have cruft from 304 breaking the install scripts for 340.

For other issues, dmesg and the X log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log will help you identify the source of the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You need to decide which driver you want to use.

If you want to use nouveau, you'll need to help it out with the details of your monitor. Nouveau is not as good as the proprietary driver at gleaning that information from the monitor's EDID, so you'll need to put your monitor information in xorg.conf.
    I need 1920x1080 resolution. For me there is no difference which one driver use for this. I used 304 driver before cause nouveau did not work with integrated GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    The proprietary nvidia driver is unable to upgrade cleanly from one branch to another. You need to completely purge the old branch before the installation of another branch will work. In this case it seems that you have cruft from 304 breaking the install scripts for 340.
    Before install 340 driver I removed all packages with "nvidia" in their names.
    Last edited by Gourmand; September 28th, 2019 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast