Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19.04 Bridge Networking

Beans

Arrow 19.04 Bridge Networking

Hello,
    I am trying to setup bridge networking in Ubuntu. I have had some success by modifying the /etc/Network/inferfaces file as follows:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto enp6s0
    iface enp6s0 inet manual

auto br10
    iface br10 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports enp6s0
    bridge_stp off

/etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml:

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
    network:
    version: 2
    renderer: NetworkManager

This creates a working bridge device that will let me grab multiple dhcp4 address from my router.

Problem. I want to associate a openvpn client to this connection. I am not having any luck using the graphical tools for Ubuntu network setup and the openvpn certificate form the provider. I am suspecting I need to have a functioning netplan for this to work. The way I have this setup, Netplan, seems to be out of picture. When I go to wired settings, the wired connection setup section is completely missing.
    When I try to add data to the Netplan Yaml file, the entire connection becomes broken, but shows up in the network connection GUI. I have spent hours combing through forums and google searches. It appears that many people have had similar issues, however, the resolutions never match whats going on in Ubuntu 19.04 .

If I add the following to the netplan yaml configuration as many websites say to do, including the docs at https://netplan.io/examples: side - I added the macaddress line cause netplan was griping about needing mapping.

network:
    ethernets:
    enp6s0:
    macaddress: "0c:9d:92:84:d6:20"
    dhcp4: no
    bridges:
    br10:
    dhcp4: yes
    interfaces:
    - enp6s0

pleased note, the forum editor is striping indents. I am using two space indents consistently for all child lines.

This completely breaks my wired connection. Changing back and restarting the networking interfaces with sudo netplan apply and/or sudo systemctl restart network-manager will not correct the problem and I have to do a reboot for the network to be functional again.

Any help with correcting or understanding the process would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero W-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 64g Corsair DDR4, two Samsung NVME 500g drives.
    Last edited by michaels24082; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:02 PM.

Beans

Re: 19.04 Bridge Networking

First, post the stuff in code tags. maintains formatting. Second, from my experience most of what is online about netplan is wrong, or they were using the wrong spacing. Regardless, this is my netplan config for reference. Nothing else ever worked for me other than this format. Single spaces.

Code:
    network:
     renderer: networkd
     ethernets:
      enp6s0:
       dhcp4: false
     bridges:
      br10:
       interfaces: [enp6s0]
       dhcp4: true
    I actually use a static ip, i modded mine to fit yours above.

/etc/network/interfaces shouldn't even be used. netplan is the way it's being done now.

*EDIT* didn't notice you said gui. above is for a server. for a gui I believe the netplan config should be as follows.

Code:
    network:
    Rest of configuration should be done in the gui. Not in netplan or /etc/network/interfaces.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't think bridges can be setup using any GUI.
    Also, netplan is the default method since 17.10. /etc/network/interfaces is deprecated and ignored since that release as Tadaen_Sylvermane says.

And using code tags isnt' hard. https://blog.jdpfu.com/code_tags will redirect to instructions here. It is one of those things which is trivial to do, but hard to explain in text.

Beans

I'll be damned. Idk where I got using gui for a bridge. I could swear I've done it before but the options are not in the 18.04 + interface. My apologies. Netplan config will be the only option then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I'll be damned. Idk where I got using gui for a bridge. I could swear I've done it before but the options are not in the 18.04 + interface. My apologies. Netplan config will be the only option then.
    I run an openvpn server and have a few clients, but they are on 16.04 systems. One of the key reasons I haven't moved to 18.04 is the lack of clear network configuration examples for non-trivial needs.

1.5 yrs after the 18.04 release and setting a static IP **still** doesn't work at install time. Tried to set this up a few weeks ago and it required a manual fix to the netplan file. I don't recall exactly the changes, but it was just 2 lines.

Beans

interfaces might be depreciated, but it IS the only way I have been able to setup bridging on this 19.04 system. My setup using code tags (practice)

netplan *.yaml:

Code:
    network:

interfaces:

Code:
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto enp6s0
    iface enp6s0 inet manual

auto br10 
    iface br10 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports enp6s0
    bridge_stp off

So any recommendations on what exactly I should put in Netplans *.yaml file to make this work?
    Last edited by michaels24082; 1 Week Ago at 01:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Interface file would only be used if ifupdown packages are installed. If so, then you should remove netplan and only use ifupdown methods.

I would assume. There are how-to guides for doing just that. Google should find them.

Beans

So just for more info the netplan *.yaml file looks like:
    Code:
    network:
      ethernets:
        enp6s0:
          dhcp4: no
          dhcp6: no
      bridges:
        br10:
          interfaces: [enp6s0]
          dhcp4: yes
          dhcp6: yes
    the network comes up and br10 is created but not linked to the ethernet card enp6s0 as seen with brctl show:
    Code:
    michael@UbuntuDesktop:~$ brctl show
    bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
    br10        8000.000000000000    yes        
    virbr0        8000.525400fc06e3    yes        virbr0-nic
    and the enp6s0 device continues to grab the ip address even though I have dhcp4 set to false.

Code:
    br10: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
            ether 2a:9b:35:45:41:ab  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
            RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

enp6s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
            inet 192.168.1.5  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.1.255
            inet6 2601:900:4300:d294:b96e:b8e1:238b:6771  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x0<
    I have googled, read manuals, went to websites, and spent hours researching.

Beans

Well, after so much work, research, time, effort, thought and questions... Its the Netplan package in Ubuntu 18.04. Very disappointed. In testing the 19.10 beta, the netplan package for bridging functions correctly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

19.10 is alpha, not even beta yet. If the newer netplan really is the solution, there ought to be a way to use 18.04 and a netplan PPA to get the latest version from that project team. Perhaps better than swapping out an entire LTS OS over network configs.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netplan.io shows they've gone from v0.36.1 to v0.98 in the last 17 hours. Basically, the default 18.04 netplan.io package should be the same as in 19.10-alpha today. Might take time for repo mirrors to get the update to your local mirror. I'm encouraged by this. Let me see if I get that update .... yep ...
    Code:
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      apt apt-utils cloud-init dpkg grep landscape-common libapt-inst2.0
      libapt-pkg5.0 netplan.io nplan sosreport thermald
    That's on an 18.04.3 box. Here's the installed version, as hoped.
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l|grep netplan
    ii  netplan.io     0.98-0ubuntu1~18.04.1    amd64  YAML network configuration abstraction for various backends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast