Thread: can I change from elementaryos

Beans

can I change from elementaryos

I have elementaryos, and wondered if its possible to change to other desktop enviroment without having to erase and reinstall all.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: can I change from elementaryos

Elementary OS is not Ubuntu. Moved to Ubuntu/Debian based.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

So is that a no? I thought it was ubuntu and it might be possible to for example make it xubuntu?

Beans

The best practice is to back up your data and install the distro with the DE you want to use. Having multiple DEs can lead to configuration problems. I recommend test driving a few live images to find the one you like most before making the move.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

ok thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu [official] flavors can be found at https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours , and you'll note they all have Ubuntu in there name, ie. Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE, Ubuntu-Budgie, Ubuntu-Kylin, Ubuntu-Studio...

Yes on those you can add other desktops - I'm a huge fan of it; however you're base is not a Ubuntu, but a distro that has Ubuntu upstream (ie. Elementary is based on Ubuntu - but changed). As such you'll quite possibly have problems, however I have no experience with Elementary so I'm guessing.

In my experience with *official* Ubuntu you can add 1 or 2 other desktops without issues, but more than this tends to create problems, and adding just 1 more desktop does your complicate menus, increase your updates (bandwidth costs etc) ... fyi: my desktop has 4 desktops installed

In your position I would backup your data, then re-install, using your pick and using the "something-else" option, selecting your existing partitions and ensure you don't format your partitions. The installer will take note of your added applications, wipe system directories, install, then try and add back your added software, all without touching user data (as long as you didn't have 'format' boxes ticked/checked). This would be my choice in your situation.