Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A French court has ruled that Valve should allow people to re-sell their digital game

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: A French court has ruled that Valve should allow people to re-sell their digital

i always thought the games with DRM are actually digital material that is rented indefinitely. you don't actually own the games. with some DRM th eservers needed to unlock it can seize to exist and you are left with unusable copy.

also if you look at steam sales, valve is already selling some old titles cheaper. as do others. so games in time still loose their value. not because their CD is scratched. but ti could be because they are multiplayer only and no one plays them, or they are old and people that wanted to play them mostly already did long ago etc.

i do remember there were stores in the old days selling old games CDs (used) and old games (still unopened). with increased DRM stuff added, you couldn't just use the old CD on a different PC. At least not without hacking. and if you hacked it you couldn't play it online.

many (too many) games are now online only, with no single player campaign.

still, if you can resell PS and Xbox games, why not PC? Also how would it work if a person did a bad thing, got banned, now they sold their key to someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    This is one of the reasons that DRM is bad for people purchasing. I've always thought that imbedding the person's full, legal name and credit card and phone number into the file, without any DRM, but letting them know it is in the media, would be sufficient incentive NOT to share any media. Every time the file is opened, display that information for 2-10 seconds, so there is no question.
    i doubt it would help. people reveal much more than that on social media.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: A French court has ruled that Valve should allow people to re-sell their digital

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    also if you look at steam sales, valve is already selling some old titles cheaper. as do others. so games in time still loose their value. not because their CD is scratched. but ti could be because they are multiplayer only and no one plays them, or they are old and people that wanted to play them mostly already did long ago etc..
    Long Live GoG.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yes GoG luckily stepped in so we don't have to use sometimes dodgy abandon ware sites. just wish they did more for linux compatibility. many games there work well in wine. but old "dosbox" games could have their scripts done for linux as well.
    a bit off topic - they (gog) just have Freespace 2 giveaway today and tomorrow (Gold or Platinum rating on wine).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12