Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backport GnuCash 3.x from Debian to Bionic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Backport GnuCash 3.x from Debian to Bionic

I have been trying to learn enough about packaging to get the latest GnuCash from Debian (bullseye / buster) to build on Bionic. UNFORTUNATELY it is quite challenging.

I want to be able to produce a package that will build in a PPA or a clean Bionic sbuild SO I have a bunch of VirtualBox VMs and a couple of sbuild chroots set up to test various things. Unfortunately I also know very little about this.

I have started several times over the past year, but I will describe one procedure that should be straightforward.

Because I'm coming from Debian, I thought it might be useful to have Debian around....

Created a Debian 10 "buster" VM and set up sbuild (older info) (newer info) (The first wiki page is somewhat outdated so I also used part of the newer page.)

Create a local apt proxy using apt-cacher-ng.

Create a sid and a bionic chroot for sbuild.

In the Debian environment, create a directory and CD to it

Code:
    $ cd ~/src/gnucash/bullseye37/
    Go to Debian Package Tracker and grab the latest GnuCash (currently version 3.7) [NOTE if you are following along in an Ubuntu environment, you'll want to install the debian-keyring package first]:

Code:
    $ dget http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.7-1.dsc
    Verify that the package builds in sid (maybe half an hour on a moderately fast machine, unless you pre-loaded the dependencies, in which case it may be much faster).

Code:
    $ sbuild -Avs -d sid-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1.dsc
    It builds fine in sid. HOWEVER

Code:
    sbuild -Avs -d bionic-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1.dsc
    The package won't even try to build in bionic, so create a new version of the package. ( also committed the debian folder in to git just for practice.)

Code:
    $ cd gnucash-3.7/debian
    $ git init
    $ git add .
    $ git commit -a
    $ dch --nmu
    Lower the version of debhelper in debian/control from 12 to 11 (because bionic doesn't have debhelper 12).

Here's where it gets much harder -- I can watch the package fail in bionic:

$ sbuild -Avs -d bionic-amd64

dpkg-source: info: using options from gnucash-3.7/debian/source/options: --extend-diff-ignore=(^|/)(src/scm/build-config.scm)$
    dh clean --buildsystem=cmake --with python3,aqbanking --builddirectory=.build
    dh: unable to load addon python3: Can't locate Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Debian::Debhelper::Sequence::python3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.28.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.28 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.28 /usr/share/perl/5.28 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at (eval 12) line 1.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 12) line 1.

make: *** [debian/rules:33: clean] Error 2
    E: Failed to clean source directory /home/twt/src/gnucash/bullseye37/gnucash-3.7 (/home/twt/src/gnucash/bullseye37/gnucash_3.7-1~01.dsc)
    $
    NOTE I also have a "normal" Bionic VM and the package fails to build in a completely different way. But for now let's stick with sbuild....

My first thought is maybe somehow the package is missing dh-python (which includes the python3 module for debhelper). But NO -- dh-python is a dependency right there near the top of debian/control.

Red herring?
    After lots and lots of Google and DuckDuckGo searches I found a possibly relevant bug:

The version of boost in Bionic has a bug where it cannot "see" the correct python headers, but that bug was fixed in later versions

I'm pretty sure most folks who hit this bug just find a way to upgrade the buggy library so they can build, but my goal has been to get it to build in "clean" Bionic. I figure I can do anything to the source code or the debian package commands, but I don't know what to try.
    Last edited by Tommy; September 24th, 2019 at 06:32 AM. Reason: make clearer, formatted with quote, AND fixed typo + added debian-keyring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Backport GnuCash 3.x from Debian to Bionic

For fun, I just created a minimal Bionic VM. (Minimal Xubuntu environment)

Similar process to above...

Code:
    $ sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-dkms
    $ sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-x11
    $ sudo apt install devscripts build-essential
    $ sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash
    $ sudo apt install debian-keyring
    [unmet dependencies because Bionic has GnuCash 2.x]
    Code:
    $ sudo apt install cmake googletest libboost-dev libboost-date-time-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-locale-dev libboost-regex-dev libgtk-3-dev libgwengui-gtk3-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev python3-dev swig texinfo
    try to build

Code:
    $ dpkg-buildpackage
    starts pretty well, then

/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTC_18613.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
    /usr/bin/cc -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now CMakeFiles/cmTC_18613.dir/feature_tests.c.o -o cmTC_18613
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

Feature record: C_FEATURE:1c_function_prototypes
    Feature record: C_FEATURE:0c_restrict
    Feature record: C_FEATURE:0c_static_assert
    Feature record: C_FEATURE:0c_variadic_macros
    cd .build && tail -v -n \+0 CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log
    ==> CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log <==
    Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
    Compiler: /usr/bin/c++
    Build flags: -g;-O2;-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=.;-fstack-protector-strong;-Wformat;-Werror=format-security;-Wno-error=stringop-truncation;-Wdate-time;-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
    Id flags:

The output was:
    cc1plus: error: -Werror=stringop-truncation: no option -Wstringop-truncation

Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
    Build flags: -g;-O2;-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=.;-fstack-protector-strong;-Wformat;-Werror=format-security;-Wno-error=stringop-truncation;-Wdate-time;-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
    Id flags: -c

The output was:

Id flags: --c++

The output was:
    c++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--c++’

Id flags: --ec++

The output was:
    c++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--ec++’; did you mean ‘-Weffc++’?

Determining if the CXX compiler works failed with the following output:
    Change Dir: /home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_6e359/fast"
    make[2]: Entering directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
    /usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/build
    make[3]: Entering directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
    Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o
    /usr/bin/c++ -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wno-error=stringop-truncation -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o -c /home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCXXCompiler.cxx
    CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/build.make:65: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o' failed
    make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_6e359.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
    Makefile:126: recipe for target 'cmTC_6e359/fast' failed
    make[2]: *** [cmTC_6e359/fast] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7/.build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

dh_auto_configure: cd .build && cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=/etc -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LOCALSTATEDIR=/var -DCMAKE_EXPORT_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON -DCMAKE_FIND_PACKAGE_NO_PACKAGE_REGISTRY=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RUNSTATEDIR=/run -Wdev -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release "-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wno-error=stringop-truncation -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" -DWITH_PYTHON=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash returned exit code 1
    debian/rules:45: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_configure' failed
    make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_configure] Error 255
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/twt/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7'
    debian/rules:33: recipe for target 'build' failed
    make: *** [build] Error 2
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
    twt@BionicMinimalVM:~/src/dch37/gnucash-3.7$
    Last edited by Tommy; September 24th, 2019 at 03:08 AM. Reason: removed newlines ; added some bold

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

debhelper 12 is in bionic backports, so there is no need to lower that build requirement if you build in a env with that repo enabled (sbuild/PPA etc).

If you inspect the debian changelog, you will see the entry:

Build with "-Wno-error=stringop-truncation" to fixed FTBFS with GCC-9

which tallies with your later errors. Bionic has GCC-7 which will not know about that option from later GCC. If in debian/rules you comment out the line:

export DEB_CXXFLAGS_MAINT_APPEND= -Wno-error=stringop-truncation

then things might build.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's excellent! Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions!

My goal is to create a package that's buildable and usable in a Bionic or Bionic-derived system, probably also including "child" distros like Mint.

How do I indicate the package requires backported packages to build (or run) besides specifying the dependency version numbers in the debian/control file? Or is that all?

I'm assuming I need to tinker with sbuild to tell it to use the backports repository. I know I can manually put files into the chroot's /etc/apt/sources.list.d and /etc/apt/preferences.d/ (to "pin" backports). Is that my only option or is there a command I should use (such as when I first set up the chroot)?
    EDIT: I somehow missed that nowadays backports are activated by default in Bionic. SO I don't need to worry with pinning.

When I get to the point of trying a PPA, what do I need to do to tell a PPA to load backports?
    Last edited by Tommy; September 29th, 2019 at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Update: I've figured out how to add bionic-backports to the chroot (I wasn't able to get it to work when creating it so I manually added a bionic-backports.list file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ containing the two lines

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

With a newly-generated sbuild chroot I was able to build a patched cmake to fix the bug I'm suspicious of but either that's not the problem or I have additional problems because I'm still stuck at the same place for the sbuild compile.

Thank you again for the assistance; I'm making very slow progress.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Today's update... after trying and trying I have finally worked through lots of permutations and realized a basic fact -- the clean command where the build fails MUST be looking in the dsc file for its initial debhelper setup. I was taking a huge shortcut as I worked through permutations... but having those parameters in the dsc is essential.

Code:
    $ sbuild -Avs -d eoan-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
    I know this must seem pretty basic but it has stymied me for a week now...

EDIT: I still have not figured out how to get sbuild to pull debhelper from bionic-backports. That's the next challenge, I guess.
    EDIT2: after lots of reading and head scratching / banging I realized I haven't seen anything build in a week SO I'm taking the eoan gnucash 3.7 package and trying and trying to get it to build on a clean eoan sbuild chroot... turns out I am still doing something wrong.
    sbuild -d eoan-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
    fails its tests with lots of warnings...
    EDIT3: well it turns out the eoan package for gnucash CANNOT build (at the moment?) unless the eoan-proposed repository is active. I figured that out by looking at the build log in launchpad... !
    EDIT4: even after adding eoan-proposed (and watching it pull in updated packages from that repository) it still fails just after the python tests.
    Last edited by Tommy; October 6th, 2019 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added detail esp about fails & solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is it just me, or does the latest eoan package of GnuCash 3.7 not build even in an eoan build environment?

I have tried sbuild in eoan and disco and today I tried pbuilder just in case I'm doing something wrong, and in both cases it gets a good start and builds for many minutes but then fails at least one of the tests. Next I'm going to try again with a fresh copy of the source package, but I've been getting it from launchpad so that should be good, right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

It builds on launchpad (or did a few days ago).

https://launchpad.net/~rikmills/+arc...-archive-extra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acheronuk View Post
    It builds on launchpad (or did a few days ago).

https://launchpad.net/~rikmills/+arc...-archive-extra
    Thanks for the pointer. I'm going to go on a little rant (explanation) here, partly for me...

I WAS able to build a few days ago, too... SO I blew away my build chroots, and created a new debian sid one...

Code:
    $mk-sbuild sid
    ... (lots of lines)
    Code:
    Done building sid-amd64.

To CHANGE the golden image: sudo schroot -c source:sid-amd64 -u root
     To ENTER an image snapshot: schroot -c sid-amd64
     To BUILD within a snapshot: sbuild -A -d sid-amd64 PACKAGE*.dsc
     To BUILD for : sbuild -A -d sid-amd64 --host  PACKAGE*.dsc

$ 
    $ cd ~/src/gnucash/bullseye37
    $ sbuild sid-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1.dsc
    Only one build is permitted
    $
    "Only one build is permitted" was a new one to me. I found a few matching AskUbuntu topics with that message in their titles. And a Launchpad bug. But none of them seemed to be directly relevant.
    EXCEPT... they were talking about missing packages. I vaguely remembered noticing some sync issues with apt...

SO as a side-track I learned more about apt-cacher-ng. Helpfully when you use the mk-sbuild script the created sbuild chroots have the apt-cacher-ng proxiness inserted into the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ directory of every chroot.

HOWEVER I was on a major sidetrack, trying pbuilder just in case it was an sbuild issue, and despite a couple of hours of kicking I could not get pbuilder to respect apt-cacher-ng completely -- pbuilder ALWAYS wants its own package cache. (This is annoying to me because I'm doing all this in a VM and you know how easy it is to fill up a virtual hard drive and how relatively hard it is to "virtually" install a larger one...) But even though I had messed around much of the day I still wasn't getting any successful builds with pbuilder OR sbuild.

But with that little hint I learned how to manage the apt caches in apt-cacher-ng -- I opened a browser into http://127.0.0.1:3142/ and found the link low on the page to start managing its repo caches. I blew away all the funky ones I had created accidentally by putting weird apt lines into the various sbuild chroots; and I kicked at it for a few minutes until ... I still had ONE error in one of the eoan caches having to do with localization... so maybe the upstream repo was just stuck somehow. SO apt-cacher-ng has trouble updating then that trouble propagates to the chroots and then...

Today I'm looking in apt-cacher-ng and it is having trouble with different repos from yesterday. But I'm just pruning things apt-cacher-ng can't verify. So there's less and less to check. I am hoping it will ultimately fix everything. I just need to be especially cognizant that sid and eoan are unstable at this time. (Well sid can be unstable any time, right?)

OH and there's a final missing piece above... for some reason a lot of the time you can get away with

sbuild [chroot] [package].dsc

HOWEVER it seems to be that when the chroot has a bad apt download in it, apparently you get the "Only one build is permitted" message. The "workaround"(?) is to be more explicit...

sbuild -c [chroot] [package].dsc

And the build will start and (seem to?) update the apt cache for the build and start building. Not that it necessarily SUCCEEDS...

EDIT: And updating the chroot with sbuild-update does nothing to help the error...
    Code:
    $ sbuild-update -udcar sid-amd64
    sid-amd64: Performing update.
    Hit:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian sid InRelease
    Reading package lists... Done
    sid-amd64: Performing dist-upgrade.
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    sid-amd64: Performing clean.
    sid-amd64: Performing autoclean.
    Building dependency tree       
    sid-amd64: Performing autoremove.
    Building dependency tree       
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    $ sbuild sid-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1.dsc
    Only one build is permitted
    $
    EDIT2: I deleted the sid chroot (using the commands in sbuild-destroychroot) and it still fails. The only problem I note on the newly-created chroot is that it complains that it doesn't set the locale. I'm not sure whether it has ever set the locale in an sbuild chroot.

Code:
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.29-2) ...W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead.
    Hit:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian sid InRelease
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    	LANGUAGE = (unset),
    	LC_ALL = (unset),
    	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
    debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 76.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
    0 value set
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    	LANGUAGE = (unset),
    	LC_ALL = (unset),
    	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    0 value set

At some point I may file a bug against sbuild about the unhelpfulness of the "Only one build is permitted" message. It might help if I knew just a bit more about how that happens...
    Last edited by Tommy; October 8th, 2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added sbuild-update & more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UPDATE: finally a successful "experimental" build -- I can build the Ubuntu eoan 3.7 package under Debian Buster. Now I'm hoping I can replicate the successful rikmills PPA build referenced above.

$ sbuild -c buster-amd64 gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Cleanup |
    +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Purging /<<BUILDDIR>>
    Not cleaning session: cloned chroot in use

| Summary |

Build Architecture: amd64
    Build Type: binary
    Build-Space: 1234724
    Build-Time: 829
    Distribution: bionic
    Host Architecture: amd64
    Install-Time: 382
    Job: /home/twt/src/gnucash/eoan37/gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
    Lintian: fail
    Machine Architecture: amd64
    Package: gnucash
    Package-Time: 1232
    Source-Version: 1:3.7-1ubuntu1
    Space: 1234724
    Version: 1:3.7-1ubuntu1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished at 2019-10-08T16:21:40Z
    Build needed 00:20:32, 1234724k disk space
    $

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast